Throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Throwing codes

Over the winter, I had some strange traction control issues with the 4wd not seeming to be properly engaged. On even just a little bit of snow or ice, the truck would flash the traction control icon - something that never happened last winter even though we had many many more feet of snow.

Checking codes with the ScanGauge it shows:

B2AAA
B2A00
P0004
B0800
P0002

I think the first is just a generic code that says some other code is set. I don't know the meaning of the others.

Any ideas if these could signal some issue with the 4WD mechanism?

Is there any online reference that lists all of the Silverado Hybrid codes?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Throwing codes

"P" codes should be easy to find. 0004 and 0005 look like some fuel system you don't have. See generic OBD site below.

http://engine-codes.com/p0004.html

The "B" codes are most likely GM specific.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the site, Hillbilly.

Looks like most of these aren't showing up. Guess I need to go back and check the scanner setup.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Any "P" code should also show up on one of those chain auto part store scanners if you want to verify your set up.

The others are usually OEM specific.

Does you scan tool tell you if they are active, history, etc? An active code like loose gas cap that turns on Check Engine Light CEL, will turn off the light after 5 full key cycles where it passes. Then the code moves to history for a long time. Eventually it will even move out of history.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

The scangauge shows these are "pending" codes. Not sure what that means.

Since the traction control light started flashing at me yesterday for a short time, when the road is dry and clear, I thought it best to have it looked at.

Will let you know what they say.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Took it to the dealer yesterday - they couldn't find any codes or any outstanding service bulletins.

Guess the scangauge is misinterpreting something.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
K-9 UNIT

Dear Sir,

I apologize for not seeing your post earlier. For you, and for anyone else who comes across this thread, here is the deal.

"Essentially when reporting troublecodes all the vehicles modules should stay quiet if they have no troublecode information, however we’ve found that there are instances where a module without any troublecodes will simply send out a response with ‘filler’ data that doesn’t have any meaning. The ScanGauge see’s this filler data, and tries to interpret it as a troublecode because anything that is reported should be actual troublecode data and not random filler data. Since discovering that sometimes this filler data is being broadcast alongside actual troublecode information we’ve implemented a filter in the Scan feature that will help screen out some of these garbage data messages.

Your best option right now is to send the 03 command and see what comes up. Since it seems that multiple modules are responding and since the command feature only captures whichever signal comes in first, send the 03 command a few times to see if you can get all the response messages. It’s somewhat random chance as to which responses arrive first, so sending the 03 command multiple times will raise your odds of seeing all the code data being sent by each ECU module."

Following those instructions, write down each response that you get. You can then interpret the message using the format for your vehicle (i.e. CAN: 4 (response to a command) X (the module responding) and 03 (the command being responded to) followed by the message and checksum). Scan gauge tech support can also try to help you decipher the message. I would personally ask that anyone who uses this option, please post the message and the interpretation here, so that we do not flood them with the same question over and over. Their tech support department has been very helpful in developing X-gauges for our trucks, and working to collect data on normal values, and values needed to enhance our fuel milage. You can find these in my other posts on this site.

Good Luck!