Tire review after 1 week

Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: Tire review after 1 week

Originally Posted by evois
another choice would be the dueler A/T Revo2. no need to buy a dedicated snow tire.
that's why the triple tread is so good...it isn't a "snow tire" it is just rated as a serious all season tire with 130 mph capability.

As to an update, after 1 month I am still happy with my choice and it has handled everything thrown at it including a 90+ highway cruise. there is no appreciable road noise and I think the handling is improved due to the tire footprint. I have purposely pushed the Yukon around corners at higher speeds than I did with the stock tires and it sticks better and corners flatter.
I have had both rain and snow to contend with and so far they haven't missed a beat. Also in snow with the stock tires I had to put it in 4 high a couple of times but so far with these and in the same situations I have not even had to use 4 high.
Mileage seems to be down slightly (1 to 1.5 mpg) but I am assigning that to more aggressive driving on my part to learn the tires coupled with the winter season in general.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Not completely off-topic, but it is close to new tire time for mine (almost 40k miles) and I don't ever see snow here in SoCal. So, for the occasional rainy and mostly dry pavement out here, what would be a good replacement tire?

I really don't like the current tires, they complain about turning too much and I think that they don't contribute enough to fuel mileage to be worth the safety hit. Sort of like driving one of those (self-named) Smart cars. Yes, you will probably die if you are hit on the highway, but you are saving a small amount of fuel over driving a compact car. Would I put any of my family members in one? No way, they are forbidden from riding-in or driving one.
So, for the entire family to be in my SUV, which is loaded with safety systems and a nice big, strong frame, and then to catapult them off the road because the tires couldn't find enough traction on dry pavement while attempting to stop or turn without using a lot of friction, would be pretty stupid on my part. I'd save a few drops of fuel, but probably wipe out a few trees along with the family, so even the tree-huggers don't win this one.

I'm still open to low-rolling resistance tires, but they have to be better executed than what are on the Tahoe from the factory. I think they should only be low-resistance when not under any acceleration forces. As soon as you load them, the rubber should transition to high-resistance. But, maybe that is a little futuristic...

Old 01-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jet 1 currently what pressure are you running?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

The triple tread is a good tire but in Canada it doesn't qualify as a true snow tire (it does not get the mountain/snowflake symbol on sidewall). This means that over mountain passes in Canada those tires could result in the RCMP not allowing you on mountain pass roads in severe weather and I don't want to be turned back! This is a good article:

http://www.driving.ca/winterdriving/...0-e643f72f8333

"Although impressed with the performance of the TripleTred on snow and ice, Laird did have a caution. "On mountain-pass roads, however, the RCMP does look for that snow tire designation on a tire -- and could turn you back, if the conditions are poor."

Old 01-22-2010, 05:05 PM

I just check both my tires and the Goodyear web site and the Fortura triple thread do have the snow flake and mountain on them. It is the goodyear assure triple tread that does not have the mountain and snowflake. So for the tires are performing well and I have not had to use four wheel high like I did with the Bridgestone Duelers H/T.. The are a very quiet tire and seem to grip the road better in the turns.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator

comparing the oem to escalade duelers alenza and at revo, both are good tires and both have the mud and snowflake logo. the alenza have a 130mph rating while the revo have 110mph. the oem for pilot gy integrity was dangerous hence the change. driving the revo on the pilot compared the steering response of my evolution IX MR with R compound advans. the alenza though was supple yet had low resistance and very quiet.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default im experimenting..

Originally Posted by kklein
Hi Jet 1 currently what pressure are you running?
right now i'm running 32 front and rear. I'm trying to find the perfect sweeet spot for the winter and since the air pressure in the tires doesn't heat up as fast (expand) in the winter its easier to test.the real problem is finding someone who will let me use their nitrogen when I want to change pressures.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Thats for the pressure Jet 1, I use nitrogen too, when I am at the hangar.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 AM

After 2,500KM in freezing rain, wet roads, snow and ice the Goodyear Fortera Triple Threads have been excellent.