Transmission issues on my brand new ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Transmission issues on my brand new ride

The day after I bought my brand new 2008 hybrid I noticed that the transmission was rattling a bit from the auto stop mode. I called the dealer and they told me to give it five hundred miles in order to let the car components settle in; okay. While getting to the five hundred mile mark, the rattling got worse. I brought my car back to the dealer; they advised me that it might need the software update to the 2009 specs. We did the update and so far no luck. My dealer stated that they are going to have to go into the tranny in order to get to the bottom of this issue.

Has anyone out there in hybrid land experienced this issue, if so, what was the issue and resolution? I look forward to hearing from you all.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Chevy Man
Default Re: Transmission issues on my brand new ride

I know of 3 or 4 Hybrids at my dealer's service department where they had to pull the transmission due to some sort of clip or ring coming unseated at either the back or front of the unit (not sure which) that caused a noise and in some cases the tuck would not move. I believe it was relatively straighforward and minimally invasive. If your dealer has sold multiple Hybrids, chances are that they know all about that, if it is indeed the same problem. Not exactly sure what a software reprogram would do for a rattling nosie in the tranny like you have described???? If they are not experienced with the Hybrid transmission hopefully they will get some assistance from GM Technical Assistance Department. This is not the type of truck you want a tech working on who is not thoroughly trained on the Hybrid components.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I found out today that the problem lies with the transmission module. They advised me that they will have to replace it and that the job is going to take a couple of weeks. I don't know if my dealer has that much experience with hybris, I'm not convince that any dealer does. I think that as new hybrid owners, we have to accept the fact the we are all going to be ginny pigs for the next couple of years.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Chevy Man

I am assuming that when you say a couple of weeks that is because it is due to a parts delay or restriction? I am confident in the tech at my dealer as he is a "World Class" certified GM Master Tech and he went through Hybrid Training. It also helps that he used to work for me when I was his manager

I agree that as a first year vehicle it is expected that we be the test vehicles. I just hope that if you are actually going to be without your vehicle for a few weeks that you get something for your inconvenience from GM, it is not the dealer's fault. I would call Customer Assistance (800-222-1020) if I were you and open a case with them and keep it in your files, IMO.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, that is great advice, I will do that.