Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Defender
Default Re: Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Originally Posted by willywaxer
Second, engine (not hybrid) battery dies quickly if you sit listening to the radio for over 30 min. Not sure why this is. Dealer couln't find anything. it appears the climate controls and other accessories work off the engine battery alone? Would I be better off leaving the key on in this situation?
This is a known issue and it is not directly related to you using your radio. I suggest you visit my blog at Tahoe Hybrid Problems as I will be posting all the info regarding my ordeal with the Lemon Law process concerning my vehicle.

Your vehicle could be completely disabled unexpectedly, lose its brakes while reversing and lose traction control and stabilitrak. They have already replaced my battery 3x. I've been in the shop 5x in a month and have already served GM their notice to replace or repurchase.

They offered me a replacement vehicle because they are unable to fix the problems but want me to pay 0.50 per mile of usage. When I did the math, was like leasing the car for $900 a month.

I'm terribly disappointed but do not want any other Hybrid user to go through what I've been through. My vehicle has been towed and left me stranded 3x in the past 2 months.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Defender

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
I also killed my 12v battery the other day just playing the radio. I actually thought it should have laster alot longer. It wouldn't start because of it.
I was told that if there is even a 1.5 amp drain on the accessory socket, the BCM (Body Control Module) aka. Computer will not switch off and you will run down your battery in 15 minutes flat.

My service manager told me that my vehicle had lot rot. Basically it sat in the lot too long, probably killed the battery so when the dealer sold it to me, they got a battery from another vehicle and installed it, it was the wrong type. They replaced the battery to a higher amp and it still happened.

I'm now on my third battery. I can't really test my vehicle anymore as GM is limiting my use to 7500 miles. Mileage above that I have to pay at 0.50/mile when they repurchase the vehicle.

So now, I just have to wait until Lemon Law takes its course but feel free to keep visiting my Blog and leave comments. I will let you know the progress.

My problems did not come from leaving the radio running or plugging anything on the sockets. I can drive 15 miles to a store and 30 minutes later, won't be able to start the car. Finally last week it happened at the dealership. They towed my Tahoe in when I got a check engine light and lost my brakes again. They were able to start the SUV normally, drive it into the service bay and when they were ready to crank it up again to do diagnostics, the engine would not turn.

You have the same problems and it may get progressively worse over time.

Definitely all 2008 Tahoe Hybrids will need a new free battery. But wait for my blog updates at Chevy Tahoe Hybrid Problems before you go back to the dealership.

For me, this is a safety issue. Be careful when you drive on long trips.

Last edited by Defender; 02-21-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Defender
This is a known issue and it is not directly related to you using your radio.

Actually, it was. After that initial issue during the first week of ownership, I haven't had ANY problems in 12,000 miles. I learned not to leave the car off with all the accessories on for more than 30 minutes. I'm sorry for the problems you are experiencing, but I would suspect there is something wrong with the battery/alternator system since that is what I saw the first time this happened. It freaked me out but went away forever when the battery was fully charged again (I actually drove it for 10 miles without power assist for braking and the next day it was fine). Since then, I've been very pleased with the performance of this vehicle. I'm getting 23 mpg (19mpg when using 4WD) and it handles very well in snow and ice (other than the previously mentioned low front clearance). This is the first US made car I've had where every item on the car works and is intact after 6 months (knock on plastic). I need a new PU truck and am actually thinking of buying a Ford or Chevy instead of my usual Toyota.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Defender

GM has determined that the original batteries on the Tahoe don't have enough capacity for the vehicle. There was a firmware update released that included a battery change just last Wednesday. 2/18/09. I was told they knew about this for 10 weeks and was working on it. But the techs at Carl Black never knew. So did the dealership of last resort until I started providing them the details of my own diagnostics.

I don't think they will ever issue this as a recall or required work.

Whether this fixes the problem for me I don't know. When I lost my brakes it never came back until they cleared the code. The first time it happened I could still start the car. The engine was still running so it wasn't just the battery. When it progressively got worse, it did not matter whether the engine was on or off.

Trust me. The issue is there. I will scan my work orders and post it on my blog and you can decide for yourself if you want to have them do the upgrade.

I'm glad you are having a good experience but I would need a vehicle with everything that works more than 6 months to consider it to be reliable. My RX330 had absolutely no problems in the first 2 years. After that it was only cosmetic issues. Nothing mechanical or life threatening.

Last edited by Defender; 02-21-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Chevy Man

Sounds like you have a problem vehicle. Sorry to hear about your problems, but unfortunately these types of things can happen on any new vehicle. It is usually a rare situation to have multiple repeat problems, but on any brand new "First Year" vehicle you run that risk and there is bound to be AT LEAST a handful of these trucks with issues that cause inconveniences like you have experienced. I had a 1995 S-10 Blazer repurchased for it cutting off when driving at highway speeds. I got a 1996 and never had another problem. I am not saying that it is ok, but it is to be expected that at least a few of the "First Year" vehicles will give customers issues that do not get resolved properly, just sucks when it is yourself in that position.

With regards to the battery run down while the ignition is in the ACC position it specifically states in the Hybrid manual that you should not leave the vehicle in ACC and that you should always leave the vehicle running as to not run down the 12 volt battery. I believe it even specifically states that it could run down in only 15 minutes. There have been issues with the original batteries, but leaving the vehicle in ACC while parked and listening to the radio or playing the DVD player will run down ANY size battery.

I understand that you feel like posting all of your issues and having it out there for the world to see. Just remember how many of these vehicles are out there and how many are actually in a situation where a repurchase is warranted. I would bet that the ratio is very, very small and that you are the exception, not the rule. Good luck with your repurchase and I look forward to seeing your blog and hopefully I can get a head start on any preventative repairs by seeing what they did for you.

With regards to the mileage charge; it is only fair for you to have to pay something for your useage, but with that few miles and the amount of down time the AVM (GM Service Rep) should have the power to work with you on the useage charge. Also, 50 cents per mile sounds very steep, especially when leases are usually calculated using 20 cents per mile.

Last edited by nicka; 02-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Defender

nicka,

I understand about first year vehicles. I had a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country where the steering was losing power assist while cruising in the freeway. It did not dawn on me that I should consider Lemon Law. So I kept bring it back into the shop. In the first 4 years, I would bring it back for that same problem about 6x. No DTCs and the service adviser telling me that without DTCs nothing can be done. I was so upside down in the vehicle (paid for) that I only used it for short trips and when I got rid of it in 2008 when I traded it in for my Tahoe. It only had 45000 miles on it but had a new steering rack, new tranny, new a/c control module, new power liftgate.

In this case, Lemon law provides 1 repair attempt and 1 final repair attempt. I've been there 4 or 5 times for the same issue in 1 month. I did not have the key turned to ACC.

Hopefully I got this in the right sequence.
The first time: Engine was running when I had the DTC's. Lost brakes. Towed.
Second time: Travelled 100 miles saturday. Sunday evening it would not turn. Car was in garage. Key was off. Nothing plugged in.
Third time: Ran some errands. About 20 mile drive. Stopped for 30 minutes in supermarket. Came out vehicle was dead. Nothing plugged in. Towed.
Fourth time: Vehicle wont turn saturday morning. DTC's appeared. Late for the day so took my RX and left it home. At 4:00PM the same day, it started fine. DTC's gone. On Sunday, tested the car for 40 miles. Called my SM on monday and they told me to bring the vehicle back. Pulling out of my driveway, DTC's and Check Engine came back. Lost brakes. Towed back to them. At this time, I was already on my second battery and firmware update.
When the tow truck arrive DTC's gone. Brake is back but CEL still on. Vehicle started normally in the dealership and they drove it to the service bay. Once it got there, it died again. Replaced battery again and had a firmware update.

I did not have to give so many chances for repair. I did out of good faith and a little understanding. But the AVM was only looking at their legal rights. If I knew this is how they did things, I should have just went full bore with lemon on the second and saved myself a couple of thousand miles. Heck, I even allowed the final repair attempt when they clearly missed the deadline. Now I'm paying for the good faith.

Yes 0.50 a mile is very steep. The formula for lemon law is Purchase Price / 100,000 x actual miles traveled. The Lemon Law does not clearly state the limits for the miles. I'm getting mixed responses. It should either be when the first occurrence or when I served the repurchase but GM seems intent on using actual miles travelled. Either way, the lemon law does not make you whole unless you bought a $15,000 Aveo. Now I find myself unable to add more miles to the vehicle. Imagine, if I use it today for another 100 miles, I would be paying $50.00 for the trip plus fuel. In the meantime, the GM Service Manager is handling this case at his own pace and if this goes to arbitration, I'm out of vehicle for 30 days and I'm still paying for it! I'm getting counsel next week. Don't like to play these games.

Last edited by Defender; 02-22-2009 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Chevy Man

With regards to the bulletin you are speaking of that was supposedly released on 2/18/09, that is incorrect. The PI (Preliminary Information bulletin) on this battery issue came out about 2 months ago on 12/17/08. It does not, in any way, require that all Hybrid batteries be replaced. It does, however, recommend that if you have to replace a battery on a Hybrid built before 3/10/08 that you use the newer part number which is a higher capacity battery and that you reprogram the BCM with the new size battery. This is a service guidance tool for GM techs and in no way constitutes a blanket policy to replace batteries if they do not have an issue. In fact, I have the original smaller battery in my vehicle which was produced in 9/07 as an '08 model and it has never had an issue.

It sounds to me like the dealer is either giving you a line of BS about the 10 weeks or he knows about somehting different that was, in fact, not released to dealers on 2/18. Again, this has been known about for about the 10 weeks you talk of and their has been this bulletin out there the entire time. For your reference, I am posting the actual PI Bulletin below:

#PIT4580A: (Hybrid) Replacement 12 Volt Battery For The 2 Mode Hybrid - keywords 2 2-mode crank dead draw drain electrical engine HP2 mode no nocrank start stop two two-mode unwanted - (Dec 17, 2008)

Subject: (Hybrid) Replacement 12 Volt Battery For The 2 Mode Hybrid
Models: 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid With RPO HP2 and built prior to 03/10/08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to add step 5 for programming the BCM. Please discard PIT4580.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
If you experience a low 12 volt under hood battery on the Two-Mode Hybrid Tahoe/Yukon that requires replacement. Please see the following instructions below.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Test the battery by following the Battery Inspection/Test procedure in SI (Document id: 1991969)
Replace the battery only if the second test shows a "REPLACE BATTERY" or "BAD CELL-REPLACE" result.
Write the test code displayed by the tester on the repair order.
Replace the battery with an updated battery GM Part Number: 89022169 (larger capacity) or the Equivalent AC Delco Part Number: 48-7YR.
Reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration that is available in TIS-2-Web. This will update the regulated voltage control calibrations to properly charge the larger capacity battery.
Note: If the vehicle build date if after 03/10/08, the vehicle should already be equipped with the larger battery and the BCM re-flash is not needed.

Additional Information:
Advise the customer that just like a non-hybrid vehicle, if you don't start the engine the 12 Volt battery will not get charged. The 12 volt battery can be sufficiently depleted to cause a no-crank condition in as little as 20 minutes with the ignition in Acc or Run if the engine has not been started. If the customer wishes to watch a DVD, listen to the radio, tailgate, etc. the engine should be started. Depending upon conditions, the engine may enter the Autostop mode for 30 minutes or more. The 12 volt battery will be charged from the High Voltage battery when the engine is in Autostop. To avoid exhaust gas build-up, discourage starting of the engine if the vehicle is in an enclosed location. Advise technicians to connect an external 12 volt battery charger whenever the ignition must be in the Acc/Run position with the engine OFF. If the vehicle is going to be placed into storage or not driven for 25 days the 12v battery should be disconnected.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Chevy Man

Defender,

Also, I am not sure what state you live in, but in most states there is a recommended course of action in your warranty book that explains the arbitration process which does not require you to start legal proceedings dealing with the lemon law. You use the basic outline of the lemon law and arbitrate with a third party, usually the BBB but it depends on your state. This process is very straightforward and objective. This saves a lot of time and in your case would probably have had a positive outcome for you. After the ruling, if you accept, GM MUST comply with the outcome (i.e. Repurchase or Trade assist), but you can walk away if you are not satisfied and then take civil legal action with regards to the Lemon Law.

As a service manager I was required to go to many arbitrations and when the customer had a legitimate case it usually went in their favor and things such as useage charges were objective and pretty fair, in my opinion.

Just food for thought

Old 02-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Chevy Man

One more thing, here is a bulletin that talks about the proper procedure for replacing the battery as to not loose rake assist. I am not sure, but it is possible that if this procedure was not followed properly it could have contributed to some of the DTC issues as well as brake issues:

#PIT4593B: (Hybrid) No Brake Assist After a Battery Disconnect - keywords 2 2-mode battery hp2 inoperative mode performance power two two-mode c121D 00 C056D - (Feb 5, 2009)

Subject: (Hybrid) No Brake Assist After a Battery Disconnect

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade
2008-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
2009 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid
2009 GMC Sierra Hybrid
with Two-Mode Hybrid System (RPO HP2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superceded to add additional 2009 MY vehicles. Please discard PIT4593A.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
No brake assist (Hard Pedal) after disconnecting the battery. This may also be followed by an ABS and red brake lamp with a possible DTC C121D 00 and C056D 00 being set in the EBCM. This may be caused by an improper 12v battery disconnect procedure.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Technicians that are disconnecting the battery must wait for a period of at least 1 minute with the ignition in the "OFF" position prior to disconnecting the negative battery cable. During this one minute wait period it is critical that the key does not pause in the ACCESSORY mode, during this period it is also critical that the brake pedal is NOT depressed. Due to programmed parameters, it is necessary to allow the brake system pressure relief procedure to occur without interruption. Failure to follow these steps may result in warning lamps and/or DTCs being set pertaining to interruption of the pressure relief procedure. Other vehicle systems may also be affected by not allowing a 1 minute duration for power-down.

If the 12V battery is disconnected prior to the completion of the brake system pressure relief procedure the next key "On" drive cycle may present a hard brake pedal with little or no brake assist.

If the vehicles battery is disconnected prior to waiting the 1 minute period, please follow these steps to resolve the concern:

1) Install the negative battery cable to the battery.

2) Rotate the lever lock clockwise until an audible click is heard in order to connect the negative battery cable to the battery.

3) Position the negative battery cable insulating cover over the negative terminal.

4) Start the vehicle without stepping on the brakes

5) Shut the vehicle "Off " for one minute

6) Restart vehicle and check brakes for proper operation.

7) Clear codes in the ECM and the EBCM.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Defender

Originally Posted by nicka
Defender,

Also, I am not sure what state you live in, but in most states there is a recommended course of action in your warranty book that explains the arbitration process which does not require you to start legal proceedings dealing with the lemon law. You use the basic outline of the lemon law and arbitrate with a third party, usually the BBB but it depends on your state. This process is very straightforward and objective. This saves a lot of time and in your case would probably have had a positive outcome for you. After the ruling, if you accept, GM MUST comply with the outcome (i.e. Repurchase or Trade assist), but you can walk away if you are not satisfied and then take civil legal action with regards to the Lemon Law.

As a service manager I was required to go to many arbitrations and when the customer had a legitimate case it usually went in their favor and things such as useage charges were objective and pretty fair, in my opinion.

Just food for thought
I'm in Georgia and it is arbitrated by BBB. I prefer not to go to arbitration but I really hate the games they play. If the customer has been inconvenienced, the last thing they should do is add salt to the wound.

Quick Reply: Two questions/problems with my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands