Upgrading to Rosen Nav Head Unit and rear view Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Upgrading to Rosen Nav Head Unit and rear view Camera

Hi guys,

I bought a 2011 Silverado Hybrid planed on some upgrades.

1st was the Head unit and rear view camera.

The truck came with the basic head unit, and after research, I decide for a Rosen Nav Head Unit. Also got a GM Rear view camera kit for completing the set up. Head Unit also came with Ipod/Iphone cable, Video Capability, better equalizer options for the OEM Bose Speaker system.

And it looks almost the same as my other truck High end Delphi unit, but performs so much better !

Got some pics of the installation.

Everything went smooth, and all my steering control buttons work flawless. Rear camera works great, and just like in our hybrid tahoes.
Also, didn't have to go to the Dealer for a re-flash to make my rear view camera work.

Location is in the Rear tail gate handle.

Got some pics of the installation.

Name:  IMG-20110714-00483-1.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00697.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00698.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00699.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00701.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00700.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00703.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00706.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  37.2 KB

Name:  IMG-20110730-00708.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  34.8 KB

Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading to Rosen Nav Head Unit and rear view Camera

Nice pics.

What is the model number of the head unit you used?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, I have to take pics also of the rear camera.

This is the part number of my unit.

DS-GM1010-P11
Not For Bose
Centerpoint

Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Time Hybrid,

I have been thinking of purchasing the same head unit but unfortunately, I can't really find a lot of info about it online. One question I have is about the USB functionality. I noticed that you removed the USB port in your center console and routed the ipod cable through there. Did the unit not connect to the existing USB port? Also, do you know if there is a limit as to how big of a USB drive the unit can read? Thanks.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

hog66,

Welcome to the site.

Regarding the USB functionality, I just can tell you my personal experience. I have no idea About the limits of the USB capacity manager. Maybe been a Windows CE based unit, could be +64GB, but that is pure speculation.

Now the facts. The head unit doesn't have an USB port on the back, so I was unable to connect the OEM stock USB cable to it.

Final install have stock USB and IPOD connector living inside the center console. But USB connector is useless. Need to take pics of that too.

The only USB port of the head unit is on the Front and came with a converter cable. I use it to charge my BlackBerry device. It reads the micro SD in my BB (32gb SDHC) and plays the music, pics, not the videos.

Ipod/Ipad/Iphone interface plays Music and videos.

Front SD slot also been tested with my GoPro 32gb card, just played pics, not video.

Haven't played more with this inputs. I use the Ipad function and DVD's a lot more.

So there you have my Experience in the USB port.

Hope that helps. Sorry for not having more info for you.

If you need any other info, chime in. I will try to make my best based on my personal experience.

Regards

Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Upgrading to Rosen Nav Head Unit and rear view Camera

Time hybrid,

Thanks for the response, I've thought of a few more questions for you. I generally do as much research as I can before I buy something and this thing is so hard to find any real documentation on so finding someone that actually has one is great. Okay, so here are some questions that I can think of now:

1) In your post you said that the front SD card slot was tested with a 32GB card with pics, I'm assuming it works fine for music files too?

2) Does the truck have to be in park to use the nav system?

3) If you use the Rosen bluetooth (instead of the built-in), does it read your contacts? I'm assuming yes since I've heard somewhere it has A2DP functionality?

4) And finally is there anything that really stands out to you good or bad about the features and interface or anything in general? (yes, I know that's a loaded question )

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

1) SD reads all files minus Video.

2)The safety feature mandates to be in parking for Video Views, not Navigation.
I bypass that safety, and I can see movies on the go.

3)The Rosen Bluetooth is like any A2DP unit. It links your music, your adress book and all the stuff, but I turn it off. I use the GM bluetooth

4) Pros: Real Plug and play unit
Video capabilities.
Lot of sources for music.
Excelent sound control

Cons: Wish usb port on the back to retain my oem USB conecction.
In sources don't manage video, I wish the would.
No more cons so far !

Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

Time hybrid, thanks for the info. I hate that you lose the console USB port but I guess that's okay if the SD card slot can read at least a 32 GB card. I think I know what I'm getting for christmas now! BTW, I've read somewhere in all my Google searches that you can get Garmin to run on it since it's a windows CE based program. Anywho, thanks for the help.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
aka soulsea

That's a really clean install TH.

I'm actually surprised that the Silvy Hybrid doesn't come stock with the GM nav unit, but that's probably a good thing considering the pos that it is.

I wonder though, does the Rosen display the hybrid/2mode drive screen?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hog66
Time hybrid, thanks for the info. I hate that you lose the console USB port but I guess that's okay if the SD card slot can read at least a 32 GB card. I think I know what I'm getting for christmas now! BTW, I've read somewhere in all my Google searches that you can get Garmin to run on it since it's a windows CE based program. Anywho, thanks for the help.
Yeah, I can install Garmin.

Go to Prius hybrid Forums, There are tons of Rosen Units installed there.
They have install the Garmin Software and maps no problem.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Rosen Nav Head Unit and rear view Camera

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands