Used battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Used battery?

So I just spent 7k in November on a brand new GM trans, a few other minor unrelated items, and service at a GMC dealer. I'm now getting bad battery symptoms, along with a POBBD voltage variation exceeded limit code. I'd love to spend the money on a new battery since I plan on keeping the truck but I just don't have it. I could go with a "remanufactured" battery (2950 installed, 5 year warranty if they're still around to honor) or a used battery local from a reputable salvage yard for 900 bucks and put it in myself.
I'm leaning towards just throwing the used one in, even if it only lasts a year, then I'll replace the battery with a new one if it goes bad again.

I guess my main question is, if I install the used battery, does any reprogramming need to be done for the truck to be right?

I don't want to end up spending 1500 after buying the unit, then charges for towing and service after. I might as well just get the 5 year "remanufactured" battery and hope the warranty is backed up. Subscribe

Old 01-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Used battery?

I only see one question. The answer is:

No.

Simply disconnect your 12V during the installation process. That will wipe all the error codes and the memory of the battery state.

Your solution is sensible; however, ensure the salvage yard gives you some kind of warranty - at least 6 months.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I just didn't want to hear people trashing me for putting in the salvage battery. Got it, so just disconnect the 12v, then swap packs, and should be good assuming the salvage pack isn't junk.

thanks

Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM

You covered your a$$ enough at the outset to keep from setting me off...

Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hey Super Kieth I am super happy that you did not go off man, it is really ugly and cringe worthy when you do that.
Quick question for you, I was quoted a remanufactured battery today and the company claims that it will have ALL NEW Primearth EV Panasonic Prismatic 7.2 NP2 modules in it. I have a quote in writing stating that. I have seen written on here in many threads that NO ONE can buy those? Are these guys lying (in writing) to me? I value your opinion please let me know what you think. I would rather not disclose the company at this time but if it pans out I will for sure let everyone know as it is quite a bit cheaper than the dealership price for a new OEM battery which was quoted at 3100 bones + 285 shipping costs and 1000 core charge

Old 01-30-2019, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Wait.... this "new" batt is less than the GM Online price (which won't be honored if you order it)? (BTW, the actual list today is over 4k)

I put the used battery in my yukon Saturday, so far, so good. No weak battery symptoms (hesitations, weird shifts, slipping into gear sensation, etc.) and mileage had already ticked up a few tenths back to what it was last year. BUT, I would return this in a minute for a truly new alternative.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon19154
Wait.... this "new" batt is less than the GM Online price (which won't be honored if you order it)? (BTW, the actual list today is over 4k)

I put the used battery in my yukon Saturday, so far, so good. No weak battery symptoms (hesitations, weird shifts, slipping into gear sensation, etc.) and mileage had already ticked up a few tenths back to what it was last year. BUT, I would return this in a minute for a truly new alternative.
My old HYHO is actually still percolating along pretty good and I could make it quite a bit longer without a NEW battery but at over 200k miles I know it is deteriorated and I WANT a NEW one if I can get a good deal. I have been looking around for a battery builder that is able to purchase and install NEW modules. My trust level is pretty low right now as I was recently ripped off by a supposedly reputable battery rebuilder, they flat out lied to me on the phone and shipped me a pack of (6) 12 and 13 year old modules as being NEW. I can return them but I am not doing that just yet until I figure out something else. The kicker is this quote that I received today for a re-manufactured battery clearly states NEW modules and the guy I spoke with said they are NEW. Maybe all battery rebuilders are liars and scammers LOL? Quote is $2,649.00 + 140 shipping to my location. I am gunshy to order it as I may be disappointed AGAIN. Some company out there has to be re-manufacturing these packs for GM as the dealerships parts departments do have availability but at a very high price (more than I am willing to pay)

Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM

I like how you poke me a little before you ask a favor. It's very endearing.

I have never stated you can't buy them. I have stated that you can only get them in a new pack. I have personally purchased approximately 2,000 NP2 modules; however, they were all part of Prius or Camry packs. I could have chosen to disassemble those packs and do whatever I wanted to with them, but I chose not to as it would not be profitable.

There are some situations where a dealership that isn't paying attention to profits will sell a pack that results in a price of $55.71/module. COST on a GM pack filled with NP2 modules would be $2,228.40.

One could also choose to buy a Gen1 pack for $48.40/module putting the cost at $1,936. The big national builders have been documented as doing this; however, the Gen1 does not use NP2 modules. It uses the prior generation, which do not perform nearly as well.

Demand a list of the module serial numbers and demand the right to inspect them WITHOUT voiding the warranty as most builders will void the warrant if the case is opened.

Otherwise, someone is lying to you.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:29 PM

That is GREAT NEWS and Sound advice thanks, sorry about the poke but it is all in fun, got to be able to laugh a little.
First thing in the morning I will get an email out to this company and ask that the module serial numbers be provided before they ship it. I guess 2018 or 2019 manufacture dates would still follow the nomenclature from like a 2006 module I believe 2006 might be a H (I will have to reference back on that) so looking for maybe a T or U in the 4th position indicating 2018 or 2019 manufacture. I got a good feeling about this one man. I will follow up if I get it verified and do order it. Old HYHO is going to have like new awesomeness Haha.

H year approx 12 year old battery module is NEW per my most "unfavorite" hybrid battery company. Unfriggin believable I am really upset with these guys.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:38 PM

T = 2018

The other option is they are procuring packs from nearly new totalled vehicles and claiming the modules are "new". One might be able to turn a profit on that.

I have NEVER seen a module older than 5 months in a newly purchased pack. For newer low-volume packs, I could see that going back even further.

You should post the company name.

Quick Reply: Used battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands