Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   VCIM swap in 2008 Tahoe Hybrid - HAVING ISSUES (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/vcim-swap-2008-tahoe-hybrid-having-issues-28207/)

MJRatliff 10-12-2012 06:59 AM

VCIM swap in 2008 Tahoe Hybrid - HAVING ISSUES

Hey guys,

I am having issues with the VCIM in my 08 tahoe hybrid. I switched out the VCIM with a newer one to add bluetooth and it works fine until I have been driving for a few hours - then my nav/radio/all audiosignals(including turn signals) will freeze. It won't let me change radio stations, I can't hear the nav directions, and I can't even click the power button to turn the radio/nav off (I press in the volume knob, but nothing happens). I can still hear the radio (on the station that was playing), but like I said, I can't change the station. All my voice commands and steering wheel controls also shut off and will not work.

Its also really weird that when this has happened and I get a call over bluetooth, the DIC shows the caller ID, but I can not answer the call and it doesn't ring. Also when this is happening I can push the OnStar button on the rear view mirror and it will being to flash and the DIC will show that it is connecting to OnStar, but I get no audio. I have no idea if they can hear me or not, but I can't hear them and I assume the operator just hangs up after 30 seconds or so.

I have tried two different VCIMs - the first was out of a 2011 Tahoe and the one I have in there now is out of a 2010 Suburban. Both of them work fine, other than the cutting off issue.

I haven’t pulled the fuses, but I have to pull over and shut the car off, open the driver’s door to shut off all the electronic signals, wait a few minutes, then start everything back up. Once I do that it works fine for a few more hours BUT this is a HUGE hassle.

I have been thinking about adding a switch to the fuse and running it inside the cabin under the dash. That way when everything freezes, I can just flip that switch (cutting the power), wait a sec or two, then flip it back on….all without having the stop and turn the car off then back on.

Has anyone else had these issues? I’m sure it can’t just be me and Wings. If so, what did you do to fix/correct it? And do you think that adding the switch to the fuse is a workable solution?

Sorry for such a long post (hope I didn't ramble too much), but I really wanted to get all the details in there. I would really appreciate someone's help with this! I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks!

evois 10-12-2012 08:33 PM

Re: VCIM swap in 2008 Tahoe Hybrid - HAVING ISSUES

since you tried different VCIM, it is probably your phone messing up the bluetooth connection and also the nav. what phone do you have? when I had a windows phone, it happens everytime it syncs with the bluetooth of my vehicle. with the iphone, I don't have an issue.

MJRatliff 10-12-2012 11:26 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think its the phone. I've tried an iPhone 5, iPhone 4, and Samsung galaxy s3 and it happens to each. The weird thing is that after a few hours of driving when I get a call I'll notice that the caller id will show up on the dic but it won't ring through my car speakers (only my actual phone rings) then when I try to answer the call I realize that everything including the steering wheel controls are frozen and it won't let me answer.

evois 10-13-2012 07:18 PM

does it happen even if you disable the bluetooth on your phone?

MJRatliff 10-19-2012 09:17 PM

Yep, happens even when Bluetooth is turned off. Any ideas?

evois 10-20-2012 03:13 AM

software update from the dealer.