Volant Exhaust Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Volant Exhaust Pipe

I received my Volant exhaust pipe today, it looks great I will try and install it this week.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Default Re: Volant Exhaust Pipe

Mel,
Do you have a resionator at the back in your exhaust system?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes Ken, I do have the two mufflers and then the smaller round device about 2-3 feet prior to the end of the tailpipe, I believe is the resonator. I do not know it's purpose but after reading posts on here, I asked my service tech and he said that was it. What is it's purpose and why are ya'll removing them?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The resonator takes up the place where a spare tire would go, it adds quite a bit of weight and just muffles the sound of the lovely V8. It probably slightly increases the restriction in the exhaust, but I don't know if it is measurable.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

The spare in the truck is centered behind the rear bumper and below the pickup bed. This device (resonator) is off to the right side of the spare and a bit forward, tilted upward. I should shoot some pics but I am waiting on jet1 or someone to tell me how they are posting them without having it as an attachment!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Hi Mel,
Like others have said it creates a little back pressure in the exhaust system and also decreases the noise level of the V8. I have finally decided to replace mine as most other Tahoe hybrid owners have. The pipe from Volant looks great. If you decide to get one talk to Danny.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Ken and fjungman. I had flowmasters on my old Z-71 and loved the sound, but really, it made a fairly quiet truck rumble. While I love the sound of a throaty V-8, I also love comfort and a quiet ride. I like the fact that the new truck is much quieter. I have wondered if putting flowmasters on would improve hp and mpg as it did in the Z-71. But it sounds a little goofy to me to put on a nice sounding exhaust and have the engine turning off and on with it. So I am still thinking about that one.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was nervous about it, but the resonator removal did not increase it much in the Tahoe. Now, I usually have the radio on, and four kids in the car, so my background noise is a bit higher...

Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM

I just finished installing the Volant tailpipe. It looks good I had to adjust the lower righthand skirt slightly. Sound difference is not much. The resionator weighted a far bit.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 AM

After having installed the Volant Exhaust pipe I have noticed it is a little louder as my three year old Newfoundland Timber knows when I am leaving, he always wants to come.