Welp, My Transmission imploded.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Welp, My Transmission imploded.

Originally Posted by tiktok4321
Could this be the problem with my '08 Tahoe? I've read every thread on this subject, and it seems like NO ONE can properly diagnose the issue I'm having with the hesitation moving from Mode 1 to Mode 2. Just dropped another $225 on a full battery cleaning. After the work, my MPG was still only 18.5 going 70 MPH in 80° weather across flat land.

What was your gas mileage before and after the new tranny? Mine's only got 140,000 miles on it, and I'm afraid to do a transmission fluid change. But I'm also concerned about the valve and Transmission Control Module.
Try reseating the connectors on the auxiliary transmission pump at the front of the transmission and also at teh transmission pump control module under the hood just right and down from the battery. My Yukon was doing a similar thing twice over the last 40k miles and reseating the wiring connectors instantly fixed it both times. The issue for me is if you replace either the pump or module, you have to do both if an 08 or 09 because they have a different connection between them and only 2010 and newer parts are available. I didn't want to replace both so I tried the reseating thing and its worked both times (fingers crossed) I don't mind really buying the new parts but you have to have the module programmed to fit your application (dealer thing).

Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I think my problems are solved - for now. But that's good info to have stored in my think tank.

Thanks for the knowledge share!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does the auxiliary transmission pump use the same fluid resevoir as the main transmission?

Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes same oil pan. However the pump has its own filter and riser tube. Both filters have a riser tube and "O" ring.

And just like any hydraulic automatic... if that "O" ring leaks you suck air. = BAD

Old 10-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

Am I reading this correct that you need to replace the aux trans pump module & the aux trans pump at the same time? Not one at a time to see which is causing the issue?

Old 12-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1gmc
Try reseating the connectors on the auxiliary transmission pump at the front of the transmission and also at teh transmission pump control module under the hood just right and down from the battery. My Yukon was doing a similar thing twice over the last 40k miles and reseating the wiring connectors instantly fixed it both times. The issue for me is if you replace either the pump or module, you have to do both if an 08 or 09 because they have a different connection between them and only 2010 and newer parts are available. I didn't want to replace both so I tried the reseating thing and its worked both times (fingers crossed) I don't mind really buying the new parts but you have to have the module programmed to fit your application (dealer thing).
Did this fix continue to work for you? I just ordered a new pump and now they offer connectors/ adaptor harness to connect to older modules so I ordered that as well. But if it’s somehtimg as simple as reseating the wiring then that would be great!

Old 12-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Should the wiring connector be cleaned with plastic safe electrical contact cleaner and then receive a layer of dieelectric grease before reseating? or just unplug and plug back up? Just wondering what worked best? I had a taillight bulb connector that required some additional effort over just resetting the bulb.....