What to do now that GM is closing the plant

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What to do now that GM is closing the plant

Like Chrysler, GM is shutting down the plant that makes the Escalade, Tahoe and Yukon. So, now what are the people who bought these truck based SUV hybrids going to do?

Will service continue? Will the re-sale value tank? What are your options at this point?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What to do now that GM is closing the plant

Originally Posted by MikeD
Like Chrysler, GM is shutting down the plant that makes the Escalade, Tahoe and Yukon. So, now what are the people who bought these truck based SUV hybrids going to do?

Will service continue? Will the re-sale value tank? What are your options at this point?
My $.02 That just closes an assembly line... the parts were made at other suppliers. Service will continue, for quite some time. As I recall you can still get an Oldsmobile serviced recently at a GM dealer and the brand has been dead for years.

However, because of speculation that they won't be serviced... the resale value WILL TANK.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

MikeD - I'm not sure what you are talking about. The Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade line, including hybrid versions, is manufactured at the Arlington, Texas Plant. I haven't read that Arlington is included in any of the GM extended shutdowns - in fact I remember reading that since it is one of the newest and most efficient plants, it will continue to operate, but with a lower output.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I was gone for the week.

GM is shutting down the whole line: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=134406

General Motors executives last May canceled the CXX program — the planned replacements for the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban and their siblings at GMC and Cadillac.General Motors executives last May canceled the CXX program — the planned replacements for the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban and their siblings at GMC and Cadillac.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

They are stopping development of the 2011/2012 new, "CXX" next generation models. No effect on the current models other than speculation as to how long they will be in production.

Also mentions shutting down the Janesville Wisconsin SUV plant and consolidation of SUV production at the Arlington, TX plant. The Hybrid versions are only made in Arlington.

So for now, there is no announced plan to stop making the full-sized GM SUVs or Hybrid versions. This report is just a consolidation of manufacturing, and scrapping of the redesign/retooling for the next model change.

As far as what I will do - I will continue to drive my Tahoe Hybrid.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I'm glad you're hopeful about the situation, but the situation looks pretty grim to me. The full size SUV market is being killed right now and the 4,000 Hybrid Tahoes, Escalades and Yukons they've sold this year doesn't make me optimistic. Neither does the close out of the Chrysler line of hybrid SUVs.

I probably overstated the case in my original post, but not by much. If there's no continuing model for the future, this is probably the end of the line.