What happens if Tahoe runs out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default What happens if Tahoe runs out of gas

The manual gives no such information and the dealer didn't have any idea; I'm wondering what happens...does it stop or can it continue on electric?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What happens if Tahoe runs out of gas

I'm only speculating, but you should be able to run in pure electric for as long as your battery will hold out. People (not me) have done this is a Prius. How far depends on how much charge is available, how fast you go, and how much power is being consumed by accessories. The Tahoe does not tell you the state of charge for the traction battery, so you have no way of knowing how much charge is being consumed.

My advise is to don't run out of gas.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

It will not run on Electric only according to the Manual

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Direct from personal experience:
Ran out about a mile from the gas station doing 40mph, just before the peak of a hill. Timed the light at the bottom so I went through at 35mph. Coasted down to a stop at the pump. My wife was soooo pissed that I made it, as she is a professional gas-can schleper. She runs out every month and had parked the Tahoe empty in our driveway (the station was only two miles away from our house).

So, here is what I noticed. Engine quits when you are out of gas (duh). Electrics are dead. No response when you push the gas pedal. I tried everything: restarting, shifting to neutral, manual gears, and tried it all again when it got under 30mph. NOTHING. OUT OF GAS, OUT OF PROPULSION, even with a fully-charged 300V pack. Not sure I understand why they wouldn't give you some of the pack to let you get out of traffic, but there is probably an obscure engineering reason that would make us all go "Oh, right!".

Anyway, don't run out.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Red

That is one of the main issues with a partial hybrid. In order to move you must be propelled by the ICE. The battery/electrical motor system provides additional power when needed. My FFH and some others will operate in electric mode, independant of the ICE. I can easily imagine 5-7 miles on battery power after running out of fuel - maybe a lot more???

Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Obviously, Red is not referring to a Tahoe Hybrid, which is a dual-mode, series/parallel, capable of full-electric-only, ICE-off propulsion.

Yes, those partials are pretty lame, but still give you engine start/stop. My 2007 Cobalt does NOT have a hybrid system, but I can get an average of 25mpg driving the kids to school and then down to my office and back. When I watch the MPG gauge, sitting at a long light or stuck in a traffic jam will cause the gauge to tick down a tenth at a time. Knowing a hybrid would not be doing that shows the value. Is it worth the money? No, not from a simplistic NPV basis, if you only look at your pocketbook for the "V". When you look at the big-picture, not putting out CO2 sitting at a light is a good "V" (value).

Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default ah but....

"My 2007 Cobalt does NOT have a hybrid system, but I can get an average of 25mpg driving the kids to school and then down to my office and back."

have you ever towed your L-39 jet with a cobalt?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Default Re: ah but....

Originally Posted by jet1

have you ever towed your L-39 jet with a cobalt?

Well, yeah! Of course. What else would I tow my L-39 with, my Aston Martin?

I guess I could use the SSr, but it gets 16mpg...

Seriously, you down in Miramar? We flew the F-18 simulators there last year. What a blast! My six-year-old flew it under the Coronado Bridge! I can't wait for the airshow in October!

I threw in a Cobalt picture (look, no jet!)

Attached Thumbnails What happens if Tahoe runs out of gas-various-041.jpg   What happens if Tahoe runs out of gas-image_189.jpg  

Last edited by fjungman; 06-01-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Screwed up the attachments.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default retired...

Originally Posted by fjungman
Well, yeah! Of course. What else would I tow my L-39 with, my Aston Martin?

I guess I could use the SSr, but it gets 16mpg...

Seriously, you down in Miramar? We flew the F-18 simulators there last year. What a blast! My six-year-old flew it under the Coronado Bridge! I can't wait for the airshow in October!

I threw in a Cobalt picture (look, no jet!)
..but yes I did a turn at miramar....about 1 million years ago (1973)

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Is that your jet? Where do you fly it? Looks like it would be a blast to play in! Much better than the C-152s I learned in.