What Mileage are you really getting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default What Mileage are you really getting?

I have gone through the first 300 miles on my Yukon Hybrid 2WD 2008 with 8500 miles - stock everything.

I am averaging 16.1 mpg in the city (with a few short freeway trips) even though I am driving it carefully and trying to stay in the green zone. I do pretty well with my prius - so I am fairly experienced on how to get good gas mileage with a hybrid.

What mileage are others getting from this vehicle.

Are there any other setting or tricks to get closer to 20 mpg in the city?

Glenn

Old 07-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Mileage are you really getting?

Wow, and I thought I was low at around 19 mpg.

I have learned to drive with a somewhat lighter foot and I now average 20 - 22 mpg around town in the summer. In winter, it drops to 19 - 20 mpg around town.

In the winter with mixed highway/city driving driving I average 18 - 19 mpg. In the summer with mixed highway/city driving it is 19 - 20 mpg.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My lead foot wife, who refuses (literally says she will not look at the econ gauge as it is too "stressful") gets 18.1 to 19 best. She thinks she should not have to adjust driving styles for good MPG, the car should do the work.
I can get 25 MPG average, round trip in hilly SoCal commuting during rush hour. This is a 22 to 25 mile each way trip depending on which route I take. There is bumper to bumper, some freeway and some back-roads.
I have an '08 and it has only the resonator removed until last month when I lowered the front 2" with new spindles and went with new tires. That should not have made a difference on paper, but I think I carry much more speed in corners now, with better traction and handling, so I'm seeing the 25 number instead of the 23.5 I used to see.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

08 Yukon 2wd,21.7 around town.22 to 23.7 highway.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2009 hybrid Tahoe 2WD, 20K miles, the only mods i have so far are K&N drop in panel filter, Mobil one synthetic motor oil, and I keep the tires at 40 PSI. I drive 60% highway, 40% city. even if beat on it I get about 20.1 MPG per tank, rarely if ever below 20 MPG per tank, if I'm somewhat careful about the way I drive I get about 22-23 MPG per tank, if I'm crazy about the way I drive and keep it under 50 MPH (the sweet spot for my vehicle, I think) I have gotten 25.9 MPG per tank twice. I'm planning on more mods like maybe a volant CAI if i ever get around to it and full synthetic fluids(trans and rear end)

Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast

Do you know what tire pressures you are running with? I'm currenty with stock tires at 35psi

Originally Posted by fjungman
My lead foot wife, who refuses (literally says she will not look at the econ gauge as it is too "stressful") gets 18.1 to 19 best. She thinks she should not have to adjust driving styles for good MPG, the car should do the work.
I can get 25 MPG average, round trip in hilly SoCal commuting during rush hour. This is a 22 to 25 mile each way trip depending on which route I take. There is bumper to bumper, some freeway and some back-roads.
I have an '08 and it has only the resonator removed until last month when I lowered the front 2" with new spindles and went with new tires. That should not have made a difference on paper, but I think I carry much more speed in corners now, with better traction and handling, so I'm seeing the 25 number instead of the 23.5 I used to see.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Since I just changed to the Triple Treds, there are where the tire dealer set them. From my OnStar report a few days ago:

Tire Pressure: Normal

No issues found.

Recommended tire pressure - Front: 32 psi, Rear: 32 psi

Left Front:
39 psi

Right Front:
37 psi

Left Rear:
35 psi

Right Rear:
37 psi

Guess I should add a couple pounds to that Left Rear...

Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default 20 to 23 mostly city driving

volant intake and custom exhaust (minus rhe resonator) TP 36 all 4 corners, goodyear triple tread stock size

Last edited by jet1; 07-06-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 20 to 23 mostly city driving

This car is over two years old and has only about 8700 miles. It looks like it sat around a lot and I wonder if that affected the battery. I have only 300 miles on it - mostly in short trips less than 10 miles. Today I calculated its historical mileage using the gallons used from the info display - ant it was 18.1 - so mileage has been better in the past.

Tomorrow I may take it on a longer drive - back and forth from LA about 55 miles each way. Then see if that helps.

Talking to the local GMC dealer - they seem to be clueless about the hybrid here - especially to questions about unusual performance. They don't see many of these and they don't seem to have special diagnostic equipment to determine if the battery is holding the amount of charge it should. Their response is that they only know what to do if there is an engine diagnostic code showing.

I'd like to find a dealer in Orange County California that has good experience with these - or a GM number to call for special hybrid questions.

In any case I will probably bring it in to see if the software needs updating.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Will it run on electric only when you are going slow?

Quick Reply: What Mileage are you really getting?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands