Winter was tough on the paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Winter was tough on the paint

Now that the snow is clearing, I've cleaned up the truck and found an amazing number of bad pits from cinders hitting on the leading edge of the hood.

Has anyone installed the GM molded hoot protector? Does it do a good job of protecting the paint, or does it just bounce the cinders further up the hood and into the windshield?

Has anyone fixed the holes in the paint from things hitting the hood? Recommendations?

Does Chevy sell touch up paint?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Winter was tough on the paint

the local parts supply have touch up paint depending on the car brand. I got black raven escalade and somehow the black touch up works fine. tried the roadwrap because of this potential problem but the weird stare I got and the flapping extra plastic left a deep groove/scratches on my paint. I just wax it and wax it often!

http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not sure about that road wrap!

I'll try to get a picture of all of the paint damage - kind of surprised how much there is, how thin the paint seems to be.

I'm thinking about installing one of these, but don't want cinders to just bounce off of it and start whacking into the windshield and pitting or cracking the windshield. I don't know how things react when they hit this guard. Guess I would rather have nicked paint then a broken windshield.

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Che...1[type]=gm

Last edited by LakeSilverado; 04-05-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default clear bra....

I have used it on my last few cars and I am very happy with the results. My Audi S4 took a massive rock hit that actually tore the clear bra and totally saved the paint!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I counted over 50 paint chips yesterday - mostly on the hood but also on the front fenders and even on the doors. Pretty amazing for a car that's only 4 months old. Seems to be an incredibly cheap paint job.

My 15 year old Taurus doesn't have a single paint chip on it.

I don't see anyone else mentioning lots of chips - is there such a thing as a bad factory paint job?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Aluminum hood and tailgate. Much harder to get paint to stick to aluminum. Probably had to try a different type of paint on the truck and it is not sticking as well.
GM sells touch-up paint (they need your paint code from the door jamb sticker) at the parts counter. It comes in a pen-like container and they do a great job matching it. I've used it on my SSr and Tomato (Cobalt).

Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks FJ - had forgotten the hood is aluminum. That explains why it was so easily dented by a flying cinder, and makes it easier to understand the chipping issue.

I stop by the dealer for some paint - they have to order - so it will be a few weeks until I get to see how it looks.