Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default congrats to him!

I remember my first flight instructor...he reached over and shut the engine down then asked "what do you do now?" I of course was going through all the stuff ...communicate..navigate...etc and rattled off all that to him. he looked at me and said "WRONG" I'm thinking great I'm going to wash out...then he smiled and said "FLY THE PLANE..then worry about all that crap"
I never forgot that lesson and with 20,000 plus hours now I think I can get anything back on the ground safely and walk away from it.

Last edited by jet1; 10-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition

Yep - the Yukon Hybrid headlights are pretty weak. I do a lot of mountain driving and have found the headlamps just don't cut it.

I, too, would like to find a clean aftermarket approach for aux driving/fog lights. But, in the meantime, I am simply upgrading the headlamps. However, I was told that changing the bulbs would affect the "delicate" hybrid electrical system.

What impact does upgrading headlamps - or any electrical component (stereos, amps, aux lighting, etc.) - have on hybrid vehicles?

This truck has power EVERYTHING - windows, seats, heated seats, nav, rear dvd, 4 power ports plus a 120V outlet. Hardly seems delicate to me. Can changing lamps really affect these systems???

Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ccoulson
Yep - the Yukon Hybrid headlights are pretty weak. I do a lot of mountain driving and have found the headlamps just don't cut it.

I, too, would like to find a clean aftermarket approach for aux driving/fog lights. But, in the meantime, I am simply upgrading the headlamps. However, I was told that changing the bulbs would affect the "delicate" hybrid electrical system.

What impact does upgrading headlamps - or any electrical component (stereos, amps, aux lighting, etc.) - have on hybrid vehicles?

This truck has power EVERYTHING - windows, seats, heated seats, nav, rear dvd, 4 power ports plus a 120V outlet. Hardly seems delicate to me. Can changing lamps really affect these systems???
I have been running mine for a while now. No issues.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Go Redskins/Go Yankees

I just saw another Tahoe with aftermarket fog lights. I have seen 3 so far, but no chance to talk to the owner. I had HID for almost 2 years and the only issue is that in auto sometimes they do not start or a couple of times, only one turns on. I jst turn then on manually and the problem automatically resolves. HID are geat!!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Administrator

There is a 12v connection in the fuse block where it is allowed to tap it.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

I agree, the lights are not the best. Has anyone considered or upgraded to LED projectors? They have them listed all over ebay...but I am worried they may be junk or even worse cause problems or void warranty. I miss my xenons!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tahoe Fog Lights - Audi-Style

Hi there,

New to the forum, just snagged a 08 Tahoe (basically stole it) and love it to death.

Theres not a single vehicle that I've owned and left stock. I always have to tinker as I have a small wiring business and I love to solve all my projects. I have been reading posts on here for about a month and love what you guys have to say!

That said, a division of my company deals in LightScaping (Low-voltage landscape lighting) and last year I got BIG into these LEDs. I have purchased a number of different varieties from a bunch of different suppliers, and I like to think that I know a thing or two about the whole set-up.

I wanted some fog light on my Tahoe and bought some eBay $22 cheap chinese-made goofy lights that I'm awaiting a refund on. About as bright as using a cellphone as a runway light. Anyway, I grabbed a handful of my 6000K LED wafers, soldering iron, and my Dremel and went to town on the inserts in the front bumper. I'll post pics tomorrow. What I ended up with was EXACTLY what I had hoped, or maybe even brighter than expected. Each fog light is 28watts which I'd compare to a 55W halogen bulb, hands down. I drove to the local gas stations where the cops post-up and asked their opinion, like if they were TOO BRIGHT or if they'd pull me over if I was oncoming because of the lights, and all they said is "We wouldn't pull you over, and it looks GREAT!" -much to my surprise.

I should have taken pics during the mad-scientist operation, but thats hindsight.

I can get just about any color of the lights available from about 4000K to 10,000K if anyone is interested.

Like I said, I'll post pics tomorrow. I am going to run a couple tests, make sure they don't get too hot, and make sure the plexiglass stays in place before I offer to make any for anyone else, but it sure is awesome to see some Audi-style lights on my HyHoe! (BTW he beat me to that name! )

Lemme know what you think after the pics are up!

-Chase

Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 AM
aka soulsea

We're all HyHoes in a way.

Can't wait to see the pics.

Actually in about a week, at the same time as I'm retrofitting my denali, I'm using my existing fogs as led drls and installing new fog/auxiliary lights in my tow hook slots:

Attached Thumbnails Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-dsc01169.jpg   Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-web.jpg  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 AM
aka soulsea

They are expensive, but could easily be installed in Hybrid pop out lower bumper inserts ... you'd just have to buy the fog light dash switch, which is sold as a GM accessory.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tahoe Fog Lights - Audi-Style

Originally Posted by WhiteNet
Hi there,

New to the forum, just snagged a 08 Tahoe (basically stole it) and love it to death.

Theres not a single vehicle that I've owned and left stock. I always have to tinker as I have a small wiring business and I love to solve all my projects. I have been reading posts on here for about a month and love what you guys have to say!

That said, a division of my company deals in LightScaping (Low-voltage landscape lighting) and last year I got BIG into these LEDs. I have purchased a number of different varieties from a bunch of different suppliers, and I like to think that I know a thing or two about the whole set-up.

I wanted some fog light on my Tahoe and bought some eBay $22 cheap chinese-made goofy lights that I'm awaiting a refund on. About as bright as using a cellphone as a runway light. Anyway, I grabbed a handful of my 6000K LED wafers, soldering iron, and my Dremel and went to town on the inserts in the front bumper. I'll post pics tomorrow. What I ended up with was EXACTLY what I had hoped, or maybe even brighter than expected. Each fog light is 28watts which I'd compare to a 55W halogen bulb, hands down. I drove to the local gas stations where the cops post-up and asked their opinion, like if they were TOO BRIGHT or if they'd pull me over if I was oncoming because of the lights, and all they said is "We wouldn't pull you over, and it looks GREAT!" -much to my surprise.

I should have taken pics during the mad-scientist operation, but thats hindsight.

I can get just about any color of the lights available from about 4000K to 10,000K if anyone is interested.

Like I said, I'll post pics tomorrow. I am going to run a couple tests, make sure they don't get too hot, and make sure the plexiglass stays in place before I offer to make any for anyone else, but it sure is awesome to see some Audi-style lights on my HyHoe! (BTW he beat me to that name! )

Lemme know what you think after the pics are up!

-Chase
Its tomorrow, PICS UP!!

Attached Thumbnails Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-fogs-shade.jpg   Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-r-fog-l-fog-off.jpg   Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-fl-fogs-shade.jpg   Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-fogs-sun.jpg   Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition-fogs-off.jpg  

Quick Reply: Yukon Hybrid Fog light addition

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands