High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

'99 Saturn SL2

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
MPG nut
Default '99 Saturn SL2

This car used to be mine but is now my son's vehicle. His best tank was 75.9 mpg over 664 miles.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: '99 Saturn SL2

Did he push it around town a lot? or was it towed behind an RV?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
MPG nut

Originally Posted by m.mosher
Did he push it around town a lot? or was it towed behind an RV?
No & no. Just plain good old fashioned P&G and staying off the highway as much as possible and staying on country roads whenever possible.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

I'm sorry but I don't believe it. There is a lot you can do to increase mileage but I think your son is pulling your leg. Tell me 40 mpg or even 50 I might believe you but your out of the ball park. The only way possible would be to drive down hill all the time.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
MPG nut

Originally Posted by m.mosher
I'm sorry but I don't believe it. There is a lot you can do to increase mileage but I think your son is pulling your leg. Tell me 40 mpg or even 50 I might believe you but your out of the ball park. The only way possible would be to drive down hill all the time.
Not believing it won't make it any less true. I used to get 60+ with it when I drove it. Since it's a stick, you can pulse up to 30 mph or so, cut the engine(just like the Prius), glide down to 15-20 mph, pop the clutch to fire up the engine, and start all over again. His current tank is at the half mark with 504 miles( I looked to make sure he wasn't "pulling my leg") and the Scanguage is showing just under 70 mpg.. His tank is rated at 12.2 gallons but can hold just over 13 gallons.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

How far are you from Rhode Island? Just wondering.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
MPG nut

I don't suppose you would believe 1100+ miles on a tank of gas in a Prius so here's a picture for you:

That's not even my best. I had one at 101.1 mpg over 867.4 miles.

Elkhart is ~100 miles east of Chicago.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

See that I would believe. There is actaully a comapny in RI that is shooting for 200 mpg on a prius here in Rhode Island. They are doing major changes to it . Last I heard they were at 160 mpg but not giving up they are shooting for the 200 mark. I am a big supporter of Hybrids and I don't doubt your mileage claims on your car but I do on the Saturn. The motor is not a small motor and I have seen higher ratings than what the Government says but not anything close to what your son is claiming.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 PM
MPG nut

I can appreciate that it is hard to believe because I wouldn't either if I didn't see it for myself. I'll tell you what, I'll have him take pictures of his receipt and Scanguage data when he fills up next which, at this rate, will be about a month or more.

Please keep me posted on the Prius progress. That is very interesting.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

I've driven part of his route and can confirm that his results are more than possible.

By the way, if it helps I've got results that are at least close in my Elantra, though my car isn't quite as efficient as that Saturn:

This is just my challenge log, but it took so long to complete (1111.9mi on 17g -- right at starvation) I don't have any other tanks in it. You can see my progression in the following:

Both graphics are clickable...

Heavy use of P&G, FAS, and bump start are a formidable combination. Since purchasing my Insight I've only continued to improve my application of these techniques in both vehicles.

Quick Reply: '99 Saturn SL2

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands