High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

Bought one of the new Mazda 3 skyactivs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bought one of the new Mazda 3 skyactivs.

Got the hatchback, EPA rated at 28/39. Best auto-tranny I have ever driven and the first one I was willing to pay money for since it increases mpg.

I had an HCH-I for 7 years before that and learned some hyper miler techniques from this board. The M3S has instantaneous and (resettable) average mpg so you have the tools you need to hyper-mile. It lacks more than one average mpg meter, so no built-in lifetime mpg meter like some cars.

If I baby the new car I can get 35 city (requires use of FAS below), and about 42-44 on the highway (cruise at 70ish on a flat, no wind). If I draft semis or go 60ish I can get 47mpg, but not willing to do that regularly. With just a little care I can sustain 44ish without too much trouble, DWL (driving with the load) over the hills is about all I have to do.

If I drive normally I get EPA of 28 city (no FAS, heavier on the gas pedal).

I debated with myself if I would use the FAS (forced auto-stop) technique with a car that has no auto-stop feature. The issue being wear on the starter motor and gear. I bought the 10 yr warranty and it covers the starter so I am doing it for now, although I tend to do it only at longer lights as a compromise.

Happy driving everyone. :-)

Last edited by kmh3; 01-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bought one of the new Mazda 3 skyactivs.

On the road the new Mazda sky-active has a awesome, strong well consisting experience about it. The advertisements for Mazda's skyactive technological innovation would create you think the auto-mobile has a very highly effective motor. I really like to buy it.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Bought one of the new Mazda 3 skyactivs.

Our family has had excellent luck with Mazda vehicles. I hope yours lasts many trouble free miles!

I've been out of the loop and just recently learned about Mazda's SkyActive technologies. They seem very promising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv