Diesel Vehicles A forum for discussing high mileage diesel powered vehicles.

Best tips for maintaining car engine

Old 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Best tips for maintaining car engine

Originally Posted by durallymax
The difference between the motor in my pics and the motor in a saturn is thousands of dollars which really hurt the guys wallet.
The folks with the two engines I talked about were lucky. They both found engines for around $1,500 plus the install costs. That is a LOT cheaper than a diesel... Does this guy plan to to continue doing his own maintainence???

Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

He was able to pick up a used long block for $5,000 which isnt a bad price.

He will still do his own work, I wouldnt call head studs maintenence but nevertheless.

I blame his dumb helpers he had, he was busy on other things and let them do the torque of the studs a such which is a lengthy and complicated process, first 45lb then 75lb then 95lb and then 125lb, let it sit then loosen and torque to 125 again, let it sit than torque to 125lb again then let it sit for 24 hours, and torque to 125 again.

He himself isnt a bad mechanic. Just had some bad luck.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Macwill22

Thanks for the sharing the useful tips. Here are few tips to keep the engine in a good shape.
1. Regular oil change is most important factor to keep the engine running. If you do it more often than suggested by manufacturer’s schedule, that’s even better.
2. Try to avoid engine overheating.
3. Changing spark plugs, air filter, timing belt and other items from maintenance schedule will save you from expensive repairs.
4. Regularly examine your vehicle in order to fix any small problem before it turns into a serious damage.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast

Never even thought that spark plug can damage engine of cars ..i have never checked it in ma life have got problem with my spark plug have changed it .....
Before this i use to think your engine is safe if u have proper battery and improper battery is the one of the major factors which leave its bad effects on cars engine...

Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks riko2,
Thanks for giving such good a information, which is really helpful for us.