Diesel Vehicles A forum for discussing high mileage diesel powered vehicles.

Civic Diesel v. Toyota Prius for ultimate MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Civic Diesel v. Toyota Prius for ultimate MPG

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I notice Popular Mechanics seems very pro-diesel and did a report on the VW Polo:

Another manual transmission auto body part vehicle being compared to the automatic Prius.

Popular Mechanics also likes the Jetta diesel:

(Both photos come from Popular Mechanics web site.)

I notice these Popular Mechanics high mileage claims occur on the highway and not from the EPA test protocols. Any idea about why that may be the case?

One of the reasons I prefer the EPA test protocols is all vehicles follow the same driving profile in well defined, standard conditions. It is a vehicle test that can be reproduced by anyone.

Bob Wilson
What kind of EPA test do they conduct??

Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Civic Diesel v. Toyota Prius for ultimate MPG

Hi,
Originally Posted by kerpal
What kind of EPA test do they conduct??
My question was rhetorical since the EPA tests are well defined at their web site, http://www.fueleconomy.gov.

Over time, I've noticed diesel advocates make sure their 'tests' includes these key features:
  • diesel tests use manual transmission vs. hybrid automatics
  • diesel tests at speeds of at least 75 mph (not using an HCH)
  • diesel tests in cold weather, the closer to freezing the better (and no radiator block on the hybrid)
My studies indicate that Toyota (possibly Honda) could close down these faux, high-speed tests by providing the following:
  1. high-speed transmission lock-up - in theory a mechanical brake on MG1 could convert the transmission into a fixed gear unit at high speeds. This would eliminate the MG1-MG2 energy flow needed to balanced the engine torque.
  2. radiator block - an automatic system that blocks the front air inlet to reduce drag and preserve heat, especially in cold weather.
Now I cruise at 65 mph which delivers at least 52 MPG all day long on a standard 70F day. In fact, down to 35F, my 65 mph highway speed on cruise delivers at least 50 MPG without fail.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

My question was rhetorical since the EPA tests are well defined at their web site, fueleconomy.gov

Over time, I've noticed diesel advocates make sure their 'tests' includes these key features:
  • diesel tests use manual transmission vs. hybrid automatics
  • diesel tests at speeds of at least 75 mph (not using an HCH)
  • diesel tests in cold weather, the closer to freezing the better (and no radiator block on the hybrid)
My studies indicate that Toyota (possibly Honda) could close down these faux, high-speed tests by providing the following:
  1. high-speed transmission lock-up - in theory a mechanical brake on MG1 could convert the transmission into a fixed gear unit at high speeds. This would eliminate the MG1-MG2 energy flow needed to balanced the engine torque.
  2. radiator block - an automatic system that blocks the front air inlet to reduce drag and preserve heat, especially in cold weather.
Now I cruise at 65 mph which delivers at least 52 MPG all day long on a standard 70F day. In fact, down to 35F, my 65 mph highway speed on cruise delivers at least 50 MPG without fail.

Bob Wilson
Thanks for detail explanation, I have no idea about EPA but after read this explanation now i come to know little bit about EPA.

Used cars for sale - Motorcycles for sale

Last edited by steveb123; 07-29-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

I'm excited about the Volvo V60 Diesel PHEV that delivers the best of both worlds.

http://www.gizmag.com/volvo-v60-plug...-hybrid/17940/

Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

Petrol and Diesel prices increasing day by day so definitely hybrid cars will do better and nobody can deny that Prius is a good car but old one(2010) model was better than new.

Cheap cars | Bikes for sale

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Hydrogen from water being the main source of fuel supply in these cars, runs the internal combustion engine in these cars or they are powered by electric hydrogen fuel cells.

=======

Read more: Advantages Of Hydrogen Cars

Old 04-16-2012, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast

I also prefer hybrid car because of fuel price increasing day by day . One more reason hybrid cars is producing best mileage than normal car.