Diesel Vehicles A forum for discussing high mileage diesel powered vehicles.

diesel hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default diesel hybrid

Several companies have DEHs in the pipeline which brings me to a related question. Years ago it cost about the same to drive my diesel Ford PU as it did to drive our Dodge sedan. Diesel, despite coming off the cracker sooner, now costs more so the truck is much more expensive to drive than the Dodge. Is the runnup in diesel price over gasolene simply supply and demand? Do I really want a DEH? Thanks for any guidance.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: diesel hybrid

A well engineered diesel engine can be up to 40% more efficient than a gasoline engine with similar power output. Diesel fuel itself has a higher energy content than gasoline. If you have a modern and efficient diesel engine, even if diesel is a 25-30% premium at the pump it is still a good deal.

I've heard, but have no verification, that refineries can control, to a large extent, the production ratios refined products from crude oil. If demand for diesel increases, in theory they can increase capacity in exchange for decreasing capacity for some other product such as gasoline. I suspect this already happens in Europe where diesel cars are very popular.

I can't speak to your personal experience with the Ford vs. the Dodge other than to say it might not be an apples to apples comparison. How much weight you have to accelerate and decelerate can be a huge factor in FE for example.

BTW, who has diesel hybrids in the works? I think its a combination that has a lot of potential.

-dan

Old 12-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dantheman
A well engineered diesel engine can be up to 40% more efficient than a gasoline engine with similar power output. Diesel fuel itself has a higher energy content than gasoline. If you have a modern and efficient diesel engine, even if diesel is a 25-30% premium at the pump it is still a good deal.

I've heard, but have no verification, that refineries can control, to a large extent, the production ratios refined products from crude oil. If demand for diesel increases, in theory they can increase capacity in exchange for decreasing capacity for some other product such as gasoline. I suspect this already happens in Europe where diesel cars are very popular.

I can't speak to your personal experience with the Ford vs. the Dodge other than to say it might not be an apples to apples comparison. How much weight you have to accelerate and decelerate can be a huge factor in FE for example.

BTW, who has diesel hybrids in the works? I think its a combination that has a lot of potential.

-dan
For diesel hybrids the only production model as yet available is from VW (in europe). BMW & MB have concept models already debut'd.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Love to see even a Diesel in the USA like the Honda Accord has in europe.

40-50 mpg and large enough to fit real size people in the back seat.

New Honda Insight from a 5 passenger stand point is a joke. My 2002 Jetta had the same rear leg room and is very cramped.

Also the insight has a 98hp 1.3liter gasser with hybrid and gets what the
2.2L 140hp i-dtec without hybrid assist gets.

Put together a i-dtec + hybrid setup like the Ford Fusion Hybrid has and you have a car which could outsell everything in america.

Size of a large sedan + 60-70 mpg??? who wouldn't pay out the nose for that.

Oh wait the general public in Japan and USA are stuck on gasoline instead of D2 or B-100 fuels that could eliminate our dependance on outside scources of oil.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

VW is bringing their Golf diesel to the US later this year.

http://www.hybriddieselelectric.com/...ybrid-vehicle/

70mpg and greener than the Prius. I think this will be a hit.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Diesel fuel has 17% more energy per gallon than gasoline, so there should be a premium on that basis. Recently, the amount of sulfur in diesel fuel has been reduced in the US and Europe creating a diesel fuel shortage in the developed world resulting in higher prices which probably won't be resolved soon.
Diesel engines have higher efficiency primarily due to the higher compression ratio compared to gasoline engines. Transonic and other companies are using direct fuel injection to increase the efficiency of gasoline engines.
Achates Power is working on improving the efficiency and reducing the weight of diesel engines by using opposing pistons.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

The majority of hybrids built worldwide are sold in the US. If VW builds a hybrid, you can be sure they'll send it over here. They've been cautious on the TDIs because most folks in the US think diesels are big, dirty and for trucks (and they had emissions issues). As that changes, VW will move more TDIs here.

Car companies are going to be cautious, but the companies that survive the coming shift in the auto industry will be the ones which are willing to take the risks and make a car that people want before they know they want it.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

Also include that diesel is much cheaper than gasoline and also less smoke in your car which is good for our environment.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 AM

Peugeot and Citroën (French manufactrurers) have finished developping Diesel hybrid cars.... But, they stopped their work because the French governement doesn't want to help them anymore.... Frenchies are too stupid sometimes..

Peugeot and Citroën are stupid, because the cars are still developped and they have planned to sale this kind of cars in 2009.... So, bye bye Diesel Hybrid cars ! We haven't see anything to buy...

The other French manufacturer : Renault said that hybrid technology is absolete, so they don't developp anything.... Poor France....

Old 07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

SAAB/GM showed a diesel/hybrid car at one of the auto shows, I can't find it now, but here is a related one for their biofuel/hybrid based on a 9-3, I think the diesel/hybrid was based on the 9-5.
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/060330.html

Quick Reply: diesel hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands