Diesel Vehicles A forum for discussing high mileage diesel powered vehicles.

VW diesels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: VW diesels?

Originally Posted by MikeMarsUK
I read somewhere that some of the Prius models have a vacumn flask to store hot coolant in when the engine is off, which seems like an excellent idea. Does it make a difference?
It helps enough that the hydrocarbon capture system and excessive warm-up to hybrid mode was not needed in the NHW20 model. I have an NHW11, 2001-03, and it won't go into hybrid mode until the coolant is at 70C. This requires careful, neighborhood driving for the first 1-2 miles. BTW, the block heater is very popular with the NHW20 owners.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One thing I fail to understand is the "My car is better than your car" attitude. A few years ago someone produced a "Smug" video, which highlighted a sterotypical hybrid driver driving with nose in the air.

There are a few, at least vocal anti-diesel people around. They mainly spew the old stereotype of yesteryear models, but largely uneducated regarding modern diesels.

I understand the rub with most VW diesel owners against hybrid ... to a point. Hybrids upon their release had a lot of press, and the federal rebates. I understand the rub for those reasons.

What I don't understand is the group's resistance, in general to the growing diversity of automotive technology. There are a few handful of open minded folks like MikeMarsUK, and those who own both diesel and hybrid who realize it's just another smart automotive choice.
But it seems that the vast majority of Diesel owners refuse to look at other technology objectively- and even work to blind others of competition.

Case in point.
I've been an active member over at the TDI club for two years. I've always been polite and respectful of members there, and tolerated many nasty, hateful PM's while some choose just to ignore my posts. I had also made a couple good friends there.

I participated in their mileage competition- and always came up within the top 5 or so of the list, along with some super-gasser hypermilers like Basjoos.
In order to win the competition (In my view), they have eliminated all gassers, including hybrid vehices.

I understand it is fully within thier right to ban us- after all it is a website for VW diesels. Still, I think it is kind of sad the majority carry that attitude.

Again, I don't mean to insult our diesel-driving friends. It's just too bad many (if not most) aren't as open minded.

-Steve

Old 01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

At the end of the day, when people have spent many thousands of pounds / dollars / etc on a car, they've made a huge investment in it - both in terms of money and also emotionally. So it's natural to defend that choice.

If people with hybrids were to try out the modern diesels, I think they'd be impressed, and vice versa also - if the people in the TDIClub were to drive a hybrid for a year they'd also like them. While I have a TDi, I read the hybrid forums (here and cleanmpg) instead of the TDi forums since I think I can learn more from understanding a different type of car.

Last edited by MikeMarsUK; 01-23-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Diesel Addict

Most of us try to be open minded. At the end of the day we both drive cars that are doing the right thing, when so many other idiots are not. At least they're paying for it at the pump.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The new numbers are out. What do you think, Prius killer?

Note, pic is for the 6 sp manual, the automatic is rated 29 city, 40 highway, 33 combined.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think the "Prius Killer" phrase was given for the yet-to-be Jetta Hybrid TDI. Yes, I read that thing at TTAC.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spinner
I think the "Prius Killer" phrase was given for the yet-to-be Jetta Hybrid TDI.
Hybrid and TDI? Cool! Got a link? I've seen that V-dub is working on a hybrid but it looks to be gas-electric, from what I've seen.

Anyhow the diesel guys are always making so much noise about how their diesels are soooooo much better than a hybrid. Yeah right! They both have their place but the new Jetta is no match for a Prius in fuel consumption or (at current prices) fuel cost. It isn't even close really. About their only legitimate advantage is never needing to worry about traction pack replacement.

Funny all that torque they are always bragging about doesn't seem to help their 0-60 times.........

Old 05-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Can't you just take the high road? You're not driving a diesel, so we know that that you can...

I don't think a war of words with TDIclub is welcome. This topic is heading that way if the antagonism doesn't settle down. You probably know this if you have experienced enough forums and bulletin boards in your lifetime: One visiting member reports back to the other forum that, "Hey! They're trash-talking us on GreenHybrid!" Then, before you know it, more visitors sign-up to get their words in.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spinner
Can't you just take the high road? You're not driving a diesel, so we know that that you can...

I don't think a war of words with TDIclub is welcome. This topic is heading that way if the antagonism doesn't settle down. You probably know this if you have experienced enough forums and bulletin boards in your lifetime: One visiting member reports back to the other forum that, "Hey! They're trash-talking us on GreenHybrid!" Then, before you know it, more visitors sign-up to get their words in.
I'm such a noob, thanks for straightening my out. What exactly do you mean by "high road"? Sounds kinda dirty to me??

More visitors signing in sounds like a good thing? Man I'm really confused??

Didn't mean to start no wars, that sure sounds like a bad thing. Just posting hard numbers and making comments about things I've seen on diesel sites.

No link to info on hybrid TDI? I wanna know all about it . They just opened up a new bio-diesel plant near here. I wanna diesel hybrid!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

The last thing I heard was that the hybrid Golf TDi was cancelled due to the exchange rate (too expensive to import into USA, which is it's primary intended market). If they can build it within the USA then it might be possible.

Pity, because I'd have loved to have that car.

Quick Reply: VW diesels?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands