Diesel Vehicles A forum for discussing high mileage diesel powered vehicles.

What about non hybrids with high mpg ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What about non hybrids with high mpg ?

Originally Posted by tollyho
My brother in law, who is a a Toyota salesman insists that it's a waste of $ to buy a hybrid. He says there are many autos that will give you 40mpg or better and cost far less. He gives examples like the 2009 Corolla, and the VW Golf.

I don't know what to make of this. I just want to maximize what it costs to fuel up and not do it in a "clown" car.

Yeah, it's weird.

For many people; Prius = "clown car". So therefore, why spend the extra money when you could just by a Neon?

I've given up trying to explain to folks that one needs to compare apples to apples. I think that my '06 Prius compares pretty favorably in terms of physical stats; wheelbase, interior room, cargo capacity, amenities, A/C, stereo, CD changer, etc., to the midsize Ford Taurus that I drove for seven years and then traded for it. But few people possess the brain cells needed to make the same mental leap. They have a mental image of the Prius that cannot be altered.

This perception is so strong that apparently even Toyota salesmen hold it in their heads. Perhaps they're right and it's you and me, tolly, who are crazy, but I'm pretty sure I took the "Red Pill".

Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs
Two words: Geo Metro

I had a "Pregnant Roller Skate" for a short bit during college. Sure, you'd lose to a kid on a tricycle in a head-on collision, but it got great gas mileage.
Geo Metro making a comeback -- selling hot on eBay and Craigslist for its fuel economy, apparently.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

So Bob I'm curious which EPA standard you prefer? The old way or the current way? Or do you not care, so long as all cars are rated to the same standard?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by BigTuna
So Bob I'm curious which EPA standard you prefer? The old way or the current way? Or do you not care, so long as all cars are rated to the same standard?
I'm an older guy who remembers the basis for the original standard. Even now, I live in North Alabama and have kin in Kansas and Oklahoma. So I know and have recently driven through towns with 25 mph speed limit everywhere. So if I had a choice, I'd go with the original EPA mileage that also seems to match the Japanese and other foreign government standards. The new one is a little too inefficient for my tastes.

As long as we use the same ruler, the same scale when comparing vehicles, I'm a happy camper. I just have a hard time dealing with imprecise measurements based upon the driver.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I think the OP's reference to "clown car" is in regards to not looking like a bunch of clowns getting out of a tiny car. I don't think he meant it to denigrate hybrids.
I think the Metro falls into the clown car category.
"Normal looking" hybrids should fit the bill, depending on what kind of driving the OP has in store for his car.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Your brother in law needs to learn his product better. Shame on the sales manager, general manager and owner of a business that allows an uneducated person sell their product.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Your brother in law needs to learn his product better. Shame on the sales manager, general manager and owner of a business that allows an uneducated person sell their product.
I've yet to meet a car salesperson that could find his :censored: with both hands. Best one I ever met just left me alone and didn't say anything silly.

Had one explain to a friend that the foil lined insulation tacked to the underside of the hood was a "Thermo-nuclear pad". How funny is that!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tollyho
My brother in law, who is a a Toyota salesman insists that it's a waste of $ to buy a hybrid. He says there are many autos that will give you 40mpg or better and cost far less. He gives examples like the 2009 Corolla, and the VW Golf.
It is a fine argument if you want to own a cheap vehicle. But does everyone want to live their life measured by lowered expectations and standards? If you understand that to sell a proper hybrid and make the premium palatable it will have to have luxury features, then bringing up this argument on a hybrid forum is a waste of everyone's time. Go develop another forum at: http://IAmCheapAsSin.com/

Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Diesel Addict

My turbo diesel jetta gets 40 in the city and almost 50 on the highway. Unfortunately, 90% of my driving is city...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I'm an older guy who remembers the basis for the original standard. Even now, I live in North Alabama and have kin in Kansas and Oklahoma. So I know and have recently driven through towns with 25 miles per hour speed limit everywhere. So if I had a choice, I'd go with the original EPA mileage that also seems to match the Japanese and other foreign government standards. The new one is a little too inefficient for my tastes.

As long as we use the same ruler, the same scale when comparing vehicles, I'm a happy camper. I just have a hard time dealing with imprecise measurements based upon the driver.

Bob Wilson
Guess I am an older-older guy, since "original standard" for me is the pre-1985 numbers. I don't recall the specifics, but the new for 1985 standard dropped the EPA numbers 5-10% specifically for highway miles. If you notice the EPA "conversion" website only goes back to 1985.

I don't look at the Japanese standards any more, but the 2008 EPA standards seem to match the UK and Germany numbers better. Especially for hybrids and diesels. And I agree it's all about using the same scale in comparing vehicles.

Quick Reply: What about non hybrids with high mpg ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands