General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

3-wheel EV, $10k

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Engineering first
Wink 3-wheel EV, $10k

http://www.newsday.com/business/chi-...-leadheadlines

on Hilkevitch
Getting Around

June 11, 2007

People often chuckle when they see Erwin Gugolz driving his pickup truck, but Gugolz says he gets the last laugh because he never pulls into a gas station.

The north suburban businessman's new vehicle of choice runs on only three wheels and entirely on electricity -- a big selling point in light of soaring gasoline prices and heightened concerns about global warming.

It's a Xebra-PK (pronounced "Zebra"), manufactured in China and sold by a fledgling U.S.-based company called ZAP, or Zero Air Pollution.

"It's a cute short-trip car that I use for my business and to drive my son to school for a few pennies a mile without polluting the environment," said Gugolz, the owner of a Northbrook sign and graphics company who has logged about 1,800 miles since he bought the pickup in February.

The truck is a tiny thing, and the sedan version of the Xebra is smaller, dwarfed even by the BMW MINI Cooper. The ZAP line is considered a neighborhood electric vehicle, marketed as a second car to travel short distances pollution-free and gas-free. . . .
I'm not a great fan of electric vehicles but I can't help but think a small, 7kW diesel generator on the back would considerably extend the range. It would only need to run at speeds above 30 mph. With a base price of $10k, this could be the low-end, hybrid goin' for groceries car.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
YA RLY.
Default Re: 3-wheel EV, $10k

Meh. I want a Tesla Roadster

Old 06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

They're neat little cars. They had a nice display at the Chicago Auto Show, but unfortunately they weren't staff by anyone who knew too much.

I agree, it does make a good 1/2 vehicle for those short range errands, like going to the video store or grocery shopping.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
Meh. I want a Tesla Roadster
YA RLY, ME 2. Actually, this whole "white star" concept Tesla is coming up with sounds better to me.

I rly like the idea of the car in the article, but don't think I can say I like the looks. As an engineer though, I do place functionality over looks (in most cases, I did choose a civic over a prius ). Looks like a good car for a teenager, the short range will keep them close to home . This is a good start and I will have to see what ZAP comes up with next.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Vegetarian

Why don't you like EVs Bob?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: 3-wheel EV, $10k

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
Why don't you like EVs Bob?
Mostly I'm interested in 'the right tool for the right job.' I don't hate my socket wrench because I need a hammer. It is a question of meeting my requirements.

Even in regular city driving, I often exceed the EV's daily range. So having a little ICE-generator would be a great range extender. It only needs to run when the SOC starts to get low or the load is heavy for a longish period of time. This would usually be at the highest speeds so the noise would not be such a problem.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Even in regular city driving, I often exceed the EV's daily range. So having a little ICE-generator would be a great range extender. It only needs to run when the SOC starts to get low or the load is heavy for a longish period of time. This would usually be at the highest speeds so the noise would not be such a problem.

Bob Wilson
Sounds like you want a VOLT, Bob! (Me too.)