General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

60,000 'Volt' Electric Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Engineering first
Default 60,000 'Volt' Electric Cars

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...R__OI&refer=us

Aug. 22 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. may build as many as 60,000 of its Volt electric cars for their inaugural year on the market, four times the sales of Toyota Motor Corp.'s hybrid Prius in its U.S. debut, people with knowledge of GM's plans said.

Production at that level may allow GM to sell the plug-in Volt for less than $30,000, said the people, who didn't want to be identified because the plans are confidential. The discussions show the Detroit automaker, racked by losses and U.S. sales declines, believes an affordable electric car will help spur a revival, the people said. Toyota's Prius can be bought for $22,175.
. . .
Ok, GM has history constructing and de-constructing electric vehicles.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Need a Plug
Default Re: 60,000 'Volt' Electric Cars

I hope it's true and that all the parts of the car work well. Man! I am scared to buy a Buick from Detroit so the thought of buying a Volt is shocking.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast

Don't know if this was intentional in the thread subject heading but when I first read it I thought, holy crap! 60KV floating around in a car? I'd hate to be driving that thing in a rain storm! ;-)

Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Watch A123systems website for hiring announcements? They will need more hands on deck to pull this off.

DAS

PS: I hope they pull this off.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by ckw_64
Don't know if this was intentional in the thread subject heading but when I first read it I thought, holy crap! 60KV floating around in a car? I'd hate to be driving that thing in a rain storm! ;-)
They should call it the "Tesla"....ooops, that name is already taken.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Who thinks the market will be there? We should do a poll.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Big question, can the power grid handle the extra load of that many vehicles.

My gut response is no way.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Prius geek

You've not checked into the facts? Several good studies, etc. floating around that state there is excess juice going to waste EVERY single night! darelldd.com or Teslamotors.com to get started. Heck, how do you think gasoline is made...yep, using electricty...imagine skipping that liquid explosive stage and steering that output to power our cars directly...more than enough to go 'round. And if there's a dollar to be made, the electric generating companies will jump at the chance to be the next 'big oil'.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am in Government IT. We are being informed, that rolling blackouts by 2010 will be a consistant problem for much of the aging power grid.

Many of us are trying to shift power hungry process to run at night to help with this upcoming problem.

Plus the power grid needs maintenance, being able to shut down portions of the grid at night for maitenance is absolutely necessary.

I think for electric at home cars to be trully successfull, we will need home power generation. The electric companies will get into the home fuel cell buisness. THey will glady rent you the unit for a nice monthly fee.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Need a Plug

To h with all the nay sayers, charge at night. I have never seen a situation that when there is a Buck to be made that some greedy guys will not figure a way to do it. The grid is just fine. Go finman

Quick Reply: 60,000 'Volt' Electric Cars

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands