General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevy Volt - plugin hybrid concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Chevy Volt - plugin hybrid concept

You also need to include roughly $.01 per mile to cover the cost of the oil and filter that you are going to replace periodically in the ICE engine of the TCH or any other Hybrid.

Back to energy sources to re-charge this baby.

I've seen residential wind generator kits selling for under $1,000 that could also play a role here. Certainly there are some that live in areas with restrictions about such things. But many of us do not.
Don't count solar power out just yet. The Chinese have gotten a hold on creating these panels now and aer producing them for literally half the price of those developed on other soil. Check out http://www.harborfreight.com Some of their stuff is not very high quality but I've not had any trouble with most of their products.

As the price of oil drops - I get the occassional jab from a friend or two about my hybrid. I just smile. I feel good knowing that I made the right choice for me.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
it's just a car...

The key word here is "CONCEPT" -- Remember GM's infamous "Hy-Wire"?
http://www.autointell.com/nao_compan...hy-wire-02.htm
GM can't build the Volt as a 2008 model any more than they can build a teleporter.
Don't hold your breath (or put off buying a true hybrid) waiting to buy either one of these.

Last edited by vioarc; 01-11-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typos, added link
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
The key word here is "CONCEPT" -- Remember GM's infamous "Drive BY Wire"?

GM can't build the Volt as a 2008 model any more than they can build a teleporter.
Don't hold your breath (or put off buying a true hybrid) waiting to buy either one of these.
I read an artical on this vehical somewhere and they said they would doubt it will be out til 2010 due to some funky problems.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I suggest that GM partner with some company with expertise in building automobiles. Or, rather, in building automobiles that people actually want.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by vioarc
The key word here is "CONCEPT" -- Remember GM's infamous "Hy-Wire"?
http://www.autointell.com/nao_compan...hy-wire-02.htm
There's nothing "Infamous" about producing concept cars unless they are promised and not delivered.. In the Computerworld it's well known as Vaporware.. And as far as Drive-by-wire is concerned it's been in many vehicles (our TCH's included) and has proven itself to be very reliable. My 2002 Avalanche-2500 is a Drive-by-wire (throttle) and has exhibited no problems whatsoever.

I think GM is fully capable of delivering vehicles that people want - it's just what works for their bottom line for the stock-holders. With gasoline in my area being under $2 a gallon for regular, it's becoming more and more of a tough-sell for the hybrid market. Hybrid prices are falling here and I'm dead certain it's driven solely by the price of gas..
As far as EV's and alternative fuel vehicles are concerned - GM has been an industry leading innovator for many years. Their research in hydrogen powered cars and fuel cell technology in general is un-paralleled.

No I don't own stock in GM or any other auto manufacturer.

Yes - I'm a gearhead and have been involved with the automotive industry for many years.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Dazed and Confused

What will happen to the economy of these cars when more peple own them and we are putting more strain on the power grid? I know that they are supposed to be charged at night, but some will plug them in anywhere they can find power and whenever they can find power. I am paying around $0.20 a kWh, and if there is a demand for more power, I am sure the cost will go up. I also know the cost of gas will go up too, I am just curious as to which will be more volitile.

Also how would you meter power at the mall or somewhere else there are outlets? i know in a lot of northern states and in Canada, there are outlets to plug your block heaters in at most places. Does this mean that those plug will dissappear if a bunch of people satrt mooching off free electricity to top off their car?

Just food for thought.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

ag4ever - I hear where you're coming from but you have to look at the whole picture. There are few alternatives to fossil fuel in terms of fuel for powering an ICE. There are many ways of generating electricity - not the least of which would be Wind / Solar / Hydro - as well as atomic. This dramatically cuts the requirement for combustable fuels while it does burden other areas. Certainly over time, "the grid" will either need to be expanded / enhanced - or - power generation will have to take place closer to the point of use. Major cities will most likely be the ones that will be the problem children of the process. Power for LA comes from hundreds of miles away from what I've read. It will either need to come from a source closer to home or the infrastructure beefed up to handle the demand.