General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Site Founder
Default GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Not making a hybrid car like the Prius was a "mistake," outspoken General Motors vice chairman Bob Lutz told a room of Chevy Volt "fan boys" at the New York Auto Show this week.

"We had the technology to come out with a hybrid at the same time as Toyota," Lutz said Tuesday. "In hindsight, it was a mistake. ... We made the mistake and we won't make it again."

"I think the whole company has learned when you step out and do bold things, you win and when you're cautious and let other people do the bold things, you lose," he continued.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...4485292&page=1

Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Once I figured out his sense of humor, I've started to enjoy reading Bob Lutz quotes like this one.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Old Boomer Techie

You gotta be kidding.

Does this mean he will give me my Volt back -- or maybee give me a deal on a new one in recognition of my loss?

(NOT !)

Old 03-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

No Kidding.

GM's slow progress to introduce a dual mode hybrid into a mid size SUV has caused me to get a hybrid Escape. Our current car needs replacing now, an Escape was ordered last month and will be here in 2 weeks. My wife wanted a Vue hybrid in the worst way because she liked the styling. Not that getting a Vue lite hybrid has been made any easier, but GM should have monkeyed around less with trying out their dual mode hybrid on the large SUV's and put some of that dual mode into the mid size SUV's like the Vue from the get go. I want a hybrid that has the proven technology of dual mode hybrid, has the utility of an SUV and the gas mileage of our other car - a Honda Civic.

After 5 years when its time to trade in the Escape we'll see what the latest technology has to offer and hopefully GM will indeed have learned from their feet dragging.

Last edited by RonRizzardi; 03-28-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: numerous typos
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Originally Posted by RonRizzardi
...GM's slow progress to introduce a dual mode hybrid into a mid size SUV has caused me to get a hybrid Escape.
Agreed. That same shortsightness by GM management will lead me to also purchase a Ford product (in this case, probably the MMH) in the very near term to replace my wife's Forester.

GM is just begining to understand, but does not yet fully comprehend the comsumer mindset that drives hybrid sales. They have made the connection for Fuel Economy, but mostly think that the sole motivation for hybrid purchase is operating costs. They have yet to understand that a significant part of the second and third generation of hybrid consumers is driven as much, or in some cases more, by environmental concerns as by economic ones. And that those consumers will chose to downsize not only for economic reasons, but also for environmental ones. (Immediate case-in-point, I am choosing the MMH over the HyHi primarily on both economics and environmental impact. The HiHy is a good hybrid, but simply to much car for our needs.)

There will always be those that genuinely need larger vehicles, but GM and Chrysler continue to attempt development of a culture that has housewives and single commuters running around in truck-sized vehicles with power eating accessories and a "big is better" concept. They will claim that this corporate attitude is the result of "consumer demand", but the truth is that the millions of dollars in automotive advertising helps to form the consumer culture and therefore proliferates that "consumer demand". Consider the ads during the Super Bown, World Series and Olympic Games to name only a few.

Toyota, Honda, and to a lesser extent Ford, have proven that advertising eco-friendly vechicles and lifestyles can impact consumer choice. So it rapidly boils down to how ecologically responsible the corporation wants to be.

GM has not convined me that they care that much yet, and until they do I will not purchase a GM product.

Last edited by FastMover; 03-28-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Sp Correction
Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Rest assured that GM and other US automakers will continue to make mistakes, tripping all over themselves. For whatever reasons, our favs will continue to fall behind in the technological race.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast

So Mr. Lutz, what exactly happened to the EV1 technology? You brought to market then, why not now. You have the technology NOW why are you reinventing the wheel with the VOLT. Unfortunately, for GM, you are too late to play in the market. That is OK, Toyota and Honda have the solutions readily available.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by valerieannt

So Mr. Lutz, what exactly happened to the EV1 technology? You brought to market then, why not now. You have the technology NOW why are you reinventing the wheel with the VOLT. Unfortunately, for GM, you are too late to play in the market. That is OK, Toyota and Honda have the solutions readily available.
Good question. In his little speech, Lutz said GM would not make the mistake again (being bold rather than cautious). Sorry to say he's mistaken. Everything about GM and perhaps Chrysler says, "Caution", "Big is Better".

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Of course, given GM's track record of getting new tech 'right', it's likely just as well. Going back to the 50's (60 'vair, the Tempest rope driveshaft, the Buick AL V8, first couple of years of the FWD Toronado/Eldorado), the 70's (70 Vega), the 80's (X cars, THM 7004R and even the 200 trannies, the Olds Diesel), the 90's (the early Northstar engines and FWD trannies) and even in this decade (the SSR, first couple of years of Trailblazer DOHC 6). Folks that buy a GM model with significant 'brand spankin new' tech must like to have the dealer's service adviser as their best bud.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

The REAL bottom line is, GM never thought that gas prices would get as high as they did, and quite simply misjudged the market for small cars and hybrids. 70's all over again with Detroit? Seems like it to me.

Quick Reply: GM: Not Making Hybrid a 'Mistake'

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands