General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Hybrid Electric Kinetic Photovoltaic Vehicle is One Green Machine

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Electric Kinetic Photovoltaic Vehicle is One Green Machine

I understand what you are saying about all your switching, but you can't escape the law of physics.

You have a certain number of amps coming in, it doesn't matter how much you switch it - or where you switch it to, it will always remain that same certain number of amps powering your traction motor.

I don't know the rating of your traction motor, but doing a google search I found this one for reference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_304642

This google example is rated 24v @ 450W so it will be drawing 18.75 amps per hour.

Your 396w 14v battery stores 16.5ah so your riding time is just under an hour given the right conditions. Your additional "Booster" power of 2.3a is 12v, but your traction is using 24v so it's not 2.3a additional, it's only about 1 amp which translates to what? Maybe a minute extra riding time.

(That's why I suggest spending your time/energy/money on motor and battery upgrades rather than PV)

Your panels produce around 4amps @ 7 volts. But you're using 24v for traction (Which, in the end is where it is used) so they are providing only a bit more than an amp of useful power in your scooter.

Again, you have a finite amount of power coming from your PV cells. No matter how many switches you add, that fact remains. You can't switch it around to be more efficient. 1 amp of power is still 1 amp of power and 18.75 amps of consumption is still 18.75 amps of consumption.

What is your formula wich shows I am wrong?

I still see your device as an AC-plug in scooter with a few solar panels attatched. I honestly don't mean to insult you, I'm sure you've learned a lot from your PV experiments (Vastly more than the typical person) and you believe in your switching theory. All I can hope for is a more realistic advertisement of your invention.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 11-24-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Solar EV Builder

Do you ride any electrics ? and also view the motor watts draw from a power analyser at the same time hot_georgia?

sure a motor is rated 24v @ 450W and it will be drawing 18.75A
but only from a complete stop, or traveling up a hill and usualy at 3/4 to full throttle..

Look, my 24v pack will show 600-700 watts when I use full throttle to accelerate from a complete stop. I flip a switch and the 12V pack adds another 300-400 watts instantly..

Flip the switch and the caps are on and guess what a flash of electricity hits the motor.. (motor is rated @ 350 watts) and yet I have probably close to 75km of testing the booster pack this summer...

Thats the extreme .. On a 11T - 55T drive.. changing up the motor gear to just 12T- or 13T would cause the watts draw to escalate massively!!

I want to keep the watts draw as low as possible.. Im going to spend my time/energy/money on doing this by utilizing a 9T-10T motor sprocket. And perhaps upgrading to a conical hub rotor..

virtually every 18th century paradigm has been challenged and made better.. except until recently the electric motor/generator technological paradigm.. New technology is coming, and I want to be ready for it... because if anyone is suited to take advantage of it ... and make something of it, it wont be the people trolling unless they have bullish ways to aquire it..

So eventually I can be cruising along with a 150-250watts draw and 50-90watts are coming from solar..
have you any idea ... Im not wanting to surpass 25 kph on 2x 8" wheels.. ****!

Sorry to say ..You are like so many .. your suggestion are of no use..
why bother... I spent my time well, and now Im posting my notes..
It is done, and I will not stop..
Im not attempting to defy physics.. Iam however creating a vehicle where you can change your driving habits for better efficiency.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THEKPV
Do you ride any electrics ?
No but I do have research, practical knowledge and experience regarding PV cells and power sources, and most important is understanding PV strength and weaknesses in applications.

I also have professional knowledge of electronics and rely on mathematical formulas to determine what will work and what will not.

I understand that no matter hard I try to change basic mathematics and physics, there is no amount of wishing or technical jargon which will do so. Physics of math can't be changed by a bank of switches, 2+2 will always = 4.

As far as I know you are not selling your invention as a solar bike or plans for a solar bike for cash. If you were you'd be running a scam along with the numerous other DIY solar scammers.

However you make it plain in your video (And here at GH) you have invented a solar powered bike which is extremely misleading. It's disingenuous.

You could say you're working on a solar power bike and "this is what I've accomplished so far" which would be very respectable and admirable. However you claim to have a solar powered bike but it's nothing more than a modified plug-in model with a few PV cells attatched.

This is sort of like the story of the person who cried wolf. Once the real wolf arrived nobody believed him. I hope you do keep on your project and eventually reach success. But if you do reach that success I will be more skeptical because you are being disingenuous in your claims now.

You don't have ... or at least have not demonstrated any verifyable formulas how you determine a PV array producing around an amp of power can propel you on your bike using a motor consuming almost 10.5 amps.

A lot of people will believe what you're selling them, even if it's false hope in today's PV technology and wonder "Since this solar powered bike works so wonderfully, why isn't this used wide spread?". They will likely blame energy companies and other usual suspects instead of realizing it's all false.

A few people will take a close look at what you're doing and realize the numbers just don't add up for the wild claims. I'm one of them who took a look.

I'm NOT looking for a conflict or fight here at GH.com.
My concern is the future of PV technology, the perception of its current abilities- and its limitations. I'm also concerned for you, Terry- a tallented inventor and all of us who think and invent things to keep it honest.

If everyone is projecting false claims about solar power to the point of complete saturation (As we are close to now) then who will invest in technology eventually found to actually work?

How many were (And still are) convinced hybrid cars are only another scam? All they can remember is the false claims of devices like gas line magnets, water vapor sprays and gas/oil additives promising big $$$ savings. I can't entirely blame them for being skeptical about hybrid vehicles based on all the other scams.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 11-24-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Solar EV Builder

Im misleading.. wow arent those Mars rovers slow moving solar powered vehicles...
Just about every other week I hear and read of someone or something that is solar powered, and low and behold they have a bank of batteries and the range is limited.. yep yesterday... a solar wheelchair going 200 miles across the Emirates..

Look, automakers are going to be designing solar roofs .. right (look it up)...
to power the air conditioning or other electronics.. makes sense.. because the vehicle is so heavy and requires lots of energy..
solar cannot power these heavy vehicles...

But, if you have a 50 lbs vehicle.. its another thing..
and with new alloys and such a 15 - 25 lbs vehicle is not far off...

People can take this information however they wish, I will continue. I have had a few years with this concept, and I do understand its limits.. So do others, however.. people do like to see such a vehicle.. and I find the people who are the ones that you think are being mislead maybe its because they cannot express what they are trying to comprehend and just blab blab blab like a troll would.

One person which I contacted to have a custom gear fabricated had this to say "wow this is so different then 99% of people that just want to go the fastest and the farthest possible"

move on ...

Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Hi THEKPV.
Watt-hours are the rate in which something consumes power. That's why light bulbs, electric motors etc are associated with watts.
You've got that wrong. He had it right. Watt-hours are a measure of capacity. You're right that batteries are usually rated in amp-hours but the reason for this is with a constant voltage device (like a battery or solar panel) watt-hours and amp-hours are directly proportional.

Watts are a measure of power which is the amount of energy per second. That's why items that utilize power (like light bulbs) are associated with Watts. The amount of energy stored or consumed needs to be measured in either watt-hours or amp-hours or Joules.

Also your math on the range and usefulness of his design seems overly critical / innacurate. If he can charge at 50 watts for 8 hours (and I'm trusting your math that he has capacity to hold the charge that means he has 50 * 8 watt hours of energy stored. So 400 watt hours. That means he can operate a motor at 200 watts (lots for a scooter especially if he has good aerodynamics) for 2 hours. If he only rides it for 1 hr in the morning and 1 hr after work (a range of about 30 km I'd estimate) he's energy neutral. It would also be dirt simple to incorporate a plug in for the system if he wanted to go beyond the the power his panels provide. His super cap is a nice idea to will offer him a little more pep. I didn't look at the capacities of the batteries or the cap but the ideas are all good. Actually the ideas are also already in use in many vehicles. Recumbent bicycles and even a couple airplanes.