General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Nissan Leaf....interesting

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Nissan Leaf....interesting

I just got this email from Nissan - looks very interesting. 100mi range and great styling...

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electr...evrevealem.HNR

Attached Thumbnails Nissan Leaf....interesting-nissan-leaf.jpg  
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nissan Leaf....interesting

Yes but...

According to available, the batteries will only last 3 years and will cost around $9000 to replace.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast

The Nissan Leaf looks interesting but like with any electric vehicle you'll still have to put up with a relatively short range and long recharging time.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Have driven the Versa "test mule" and was very impressed with the performance. Seat of the pants says it is more than adequate and out performs the Rav4EV. Tesla and Ebox owners need not fear. The 100 mile range of the Rav4EV has proven more than adequate for most owners.

In person the Leaf looks like a very nice small car. About the same size as the Versa.

If you are looking for a production EV I believe Nissan has a potential winner. BTW I don't believe they have made up their "minds" in regards to ownership of the batteries. Leasing them to you with a guaranteed level of performance so you don't have to worry about battery longevity seems to be the direction they are leaning.

Personal experience with a EV is that it is amazing how much driving you can do in a car without a lot of range.

Based upon the interest Nissan has had in the car initial production will be sold quickly.

M

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nowhere does it say the batteries will last only three years. By law, the batteries will have to last ten years in California and they are not making a special Leaf for California so all of the Leaf battery packs should last at least 10 years or have a 10 year warranty.

Originally Posted by ppgroup
Yes but...

According to available, the batteries will only last 3 years and will cost around $9000 to replace.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
Nowhere does it say the batteries will last only three years. By law, the batteries will have to last ten years in California and they are not making a special Leaf for California so all of the Leaf battery packs should last at least 10 years or have a 10 year warranty.
If this is the case, I'm definitely interested in learning more. Looks great!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Enthusiast

Wow! Zero Emission. I love the design. Is it electric cars too expensive than fuel automobiles?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Enthusiast

The Nissan Leaf battery pack - It consists of positive electrodes of manganese instead of cobalt or nickel, making the cost of the battery cheaper. Additionally, to save on the consumer side, Nissan believes that the right thing to do environmentally is to lease the battery pack to the EV owner. This saves the buyer about $7,000 off the sticker price, and transfers the responsibility of the battery (the performance and recycling of used batteries) to Nissan.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Micheal73
Nissan believes that the right thing to do environmentally is to lease the battery pack to the EV owner. This saves the buyer about $7,000 off the sticker price, and transfers the responsibility of the battery (the performance and recycling of used batteries) to Nissan.
Sounds great. Except I keep thinking about GM leasing their EV1's and not allowing outright purchase of the vehicle. We all know what happened to EV1's when GM decided not to renew the leases.

I wonder how difficult (Or possible) it would be to find a suitable replacement should Nissan decide not to renew battery leases, and come and get theirs out of your car.

Oh, the cynical me!

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 11-22-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Sounds great. Except I keep thinking about GM leasing their EV1's and not allowing outright purchase of the vehicle. We all know what happened to EV1's when GM decided not to renew the leases.

I wonder how difficult (Or possible) it would be to find a suitable replacement should Nissan decide not to renew battery leases, and come and get theirs out of your car.

Oh, the cynical me!
Previous poster is completely misled. The Leaf batteries are not leased - they are a part of the purchase price of the car. The batteries are warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles against excessive capacity loss.

Quick Reply: Nissan Leaf....interesting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands