General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Volt Price: $30k ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Volt Price: $30k ???

http://wot.motortrend.com/6252297/gr...30k/index.html

Ever since GM opened the doors to its Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, where the 2010 Chevy Volt is being designed, rumors have been swirling about the new Extended-Range Electric Vehicle (E-REV). Originally beset by problems, development has moved ahead rapidly with a test mule hitting the track and word that a production-spec car could appear at this year's Paris Auto Show. And now in another victory, it seems that GM CEO Rick Wagoner has said the plug-in hybrid will not only make its original target price of $30,000, it could even sell for less.

Woopie!!!

Bob Wilson

Old 05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Volt Price: $30k ???

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Awesome! I thought they were going to be up around $37,000.00! Under $30k would make the Volt a must have.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:05 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

The prive does seem to be a bit of a moving target for GM. I've heard prices as low as $30k and as high as $48k. I've also heard rumors of a seperate battery lease.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 AM

It will be interesting to see what the volt looks like for production. Has anyone taken any pictures of the few that are being tested on the streets of detroit?

I've talked to a few non hybrid people and they said if the volt looks like the concept and does what gm says it will then they will buy one in a heart beat.

I think if GM lives up to promiseses that it could outsell prius by at least 2 to 1 if GM could keep up with demand.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

I shall not believe that without link. It is amazing.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
development has moved ahead rapidly with a test mule hitting the track
Originally Posted by tbaleno
It will be interesting to see what the volt looks like for production. Has anyone taken any pictures of the few that are being tested on the streets of detroit?

I've talked to a few non hybrid people and they said if the volt looks like the concept and does what gm says it will then they will buy one in a heart beat.

I think if GM lives up to promiseses that it could outsell prius by at least 2 to 1 if GM could keep up with demand.
In the industry, the definition of a test mule is a current production vehicle mocked up to simulate characteristics of a product in development. If a Volt mule pulled up next to you, you wouldn't know it. Until you realized "Hey! I didn't hear the engine running!". Then you'd probably assume it was a Malibu Hybrid or an Aura Hybrid.

Now having said that, there is a website that has a spyshot of one of the mules in testing at the Milford Proving Grounds. Pretty much backs up what I just said.

Peace,

Martin

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by martinjlm
... If a Volt mule pulled up next to you, you wouldn't know it. Until you realized "Hey! I didn't hear the engine running!". Then you'd probably assume it was a Malibu Hybrid or an Aura Hybrid. ...
What an opportunity ... you could fit a recording of an engine (or somebody making engine noises) and let the blind know about it. Just for fun, use the recording of an engine with valve noise and a loose belt. <grins>

Often I'm sitting at a light with the windows rolled down and I'm diagnosing the engine sounds of the pickups and cars around me.

Bob Wilson