Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

corn furnace and alternate fuel info

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: corn furnace and alternate fuel info

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
We definatly have the heat/ humidity here, some use swamp coolers but again very humid..
On the lighter side with the extra corn,
You could make a side still and brew your own for parties also
...or to power your lawnmower or even dump in the car... mo' better green fuel

Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

We definatly have the heat/ humidity here, some use swamp coolers but again very humid..
On the lighter side with the extra corn,
You could make a side still and brew your own for parties also
Yes, I have always dreamed of moon-shining. Actually boot-legging in some sort of hopped up car. Probably wouldn't provide much of a chase in the Civic. However, if I hold it in the high 40's to low 50's for speed, and coast a whole lot, I might be able to take them on endurance.....

You know go navy, we have an E85 station just down the street from our hospital. I haven't been there, but there is a sign that points you in that direction. I might go see if I can find it this week, but I'm a bit hesitant to burn E85 in my car. however, I'm waiting for a call from John Deere to see if I can use it in my tractor!

ralph-dog, you hit the nail on the head. I have to load the corn into a trailer, unload it into a cart I pull behind my tractor to take it around the back of the house, and unload, and re-stack it in the basement. After all that, I'm pretty tired. My wife has been on me to finish the flooring in our upstairs hallway, so I even finished that the same day I got done with the corn! My next major project is to pour 20 cubic yards of concrete to start replacing our asphalt driveway......little by little, or more like, as we can afford it.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:28 AM
World's First Hybrid

GoNavy,

I have a very poor memory but is E85 ok to use in his 05HCH? I thought that only a vehicle that's labeled for multi fuel use will run on E85??? Seems like a waste of good ethyl just burning it up in a car when you could be mixing it with a couple of ice cubes in a rock glass

Old 02-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Guys, I bought some corn that was way cheaper than normal, and I am paying the price. The clinker, or waist doesn't pop out very well, so I have to wait for the furnace to cool down to remove the fire pot. In that short time, the gas heat kicks in. I'm not sure how many therms I am using, but instead on the gas kicking in once a day for about 15 minutes, it will run for 30 minutes at a time, with only 10 minute off interval averages to keep the house at 68 degrees. Once the corn is burning good and hot, the gas doesn't come back on, but I'm curious to see how this will affect my gas bill.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can burn it in the car, but you'll probably get code 0174- lean mix fuel trim. I hit that when I was experimenting, at around 40% ETOH in the HAH.

Deere will tell you NOT to use E85. All engines are ok for E10, though. And in reality, E85 should work in the tractor, but you may have to keep it choked or drill out the carb jets. And Deere won't fix it. Its all a matter of how comfortable you are doing your own maintenance and repairs.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yup, the dealer called me back, and said John Deere won't warranty use of E85 in the tractor. Right now, it is still very new, but I'm thinking of getting one of the diesel minies. Price is just over $10,000. I like it better than the Kabota Mini, but the attachements for the Deere seem to cost a bit more. We'll see. I'm thinking of selling my motorcycle. I don't really ride it that much these days, and I can use the tractor more than a bike right now. Thanks for the response go-navy!