Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Alternative Fuel Vehicles (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/alternative-fuel-vehicles-78/)
-   -   Ethanol -- Can HCH I or II Run on It? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/alternative-fuel-vehicles-78/ethanol-can-hch-i-ii-run-6025/)

dshelman 02-18-2006 01:15 PM

Ethanol -- Can HCH I or II Run on It?

With all the attention being paid to ethanol these days, and with lots of people introducing E85-capable cars these days, I wonder if one of these days we'll be forced to run a blend in our cars.

If we are, I wonder how the HCH's will handle it. Anyone familiar with what engine design considerations there are when anticipating running on ethanol?

Thanks,

Don

Z71 02-18-2006 01:25 PM

Re: Ethanol -- Can HCH I or II Run on It?

You can use E-10 (10%) ethanol. HCH not a Flex Fuel vehicle like my Suburban which can use E-85(85% ethanol). No E-85 to be found in the Northeast.
Rick

masgian 02-18-2006 08:50 PM

HCHI and II wont work on e85

guvmint_cheese 02-19-2006 08:38 AM

Isn't the problem with running E85 the plastics used in the fuel lines and gas tank and the degrading effects of the alcohol? If that's the extent of it, why can't the car manufacturers just use non-degrading materials that can handle ethanol? I wonder if there could be a way to swap out components on an HCH-II to make it more ethanol friendly.

Jeff

masgian 02-19-2006 09:02 AM

the more complicated the engine is the less chances to have it work with ethanol, propane or natural gas blends.

I asume that Honda could adapt our car's software to make it work with other fuels blends, like e85. replacement of certain subensembles would be mandatory I asume also....

actually, cng and e85 is not a breakthrough... it's just politics...

guvmint_cheese 02-19-2006 03:07 PM

I never did get why Gasahol never caught on. 10% Ethanol means 10% less petroleum product needed. Politics - gotta love it...

Jeff

mexiken 02-19-2006 11:12 PM

It clearly states in the manual that the HCHII can only handle up to 10% ethanol in the fuel. Don't remember the page, I can look it up though if someone needs me to.

guvmint: The reason gasohol never caught on is because although ethanol means less oil in the gas, it also is only about as 60% potent compared to regular gas. ALL OF US here in California use RF, or reforumlated gasoline, which actually is PROVEN to reduce your gas mileage by 3-8%. The gas companies themselves stated this (I read it on Chevron's website). Most stations in Cali use ethanol. As you can see, without reducing the gas price to compensate for the extra we'd have to use to make up for the power lost, we're getting ripped off. Not to mention that in the end, we're getting screwed anyway because while 10 of that fuel is only at 60% strength, you end up using MORE gas to get the same as you would have had the gas been all oil-based from the beginning. (if that makes sense to you, I know my wording is kinda bad today)

masgian & guvmint: You can't simply change the software to run on E85, or else we'd probably all have opted for that by now. The internal engine parts are not made to withstand the more corrosive nature of ethanol. Apparently when mixed into the engine, it can do damage to the cylinders. Although it might run for an unspecified amount of time, I don't think the car would prove to be reliable soon after.

dshelman 02-20-2006 11:56 AM

Thanks, Mex -- I should have read the manual before posting.

mexiken 02-20-2006 07:57 PM

No sweat D.

masgian 02-20-2006 10:16 PM

what's the price of e10? I never saw it at any gas station after all... neither e85..

anyone saw these?