Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

Hybrid versus biodiesel

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Think green.
Default Hybrid versus biodiesel

On the Live Earth website there is an opinion survey asking which technology is more promising: hybrid or biodiesel.
If you like, you can add your comments to the conversation at this link:

http://www.liveearth.org/?p=284

Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid versus biodiesel

I think biodiesel is a good alternative as long as we aren't burning our food source out the tailpipe, such as corn.

A better solution would be battery electric or plug in hybrid.

-Steve

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Think green.

I agree. I think there are a number of good options, including those you mention. To use food crops for biodiesel is unwise; there are other sources such as switchgrass or waste biofuels.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The entire worlds energy source would be solved if they could convert kudzu into bio diesel
The stuff grows a foot per day and practically impossible to kill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu

Well, probably an exaggeration but perhaps they could make many undesirable plants into fuel.

-Steve

Old 09-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Think green.

I think you're onto something there, Steve.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

America could quickly become the #1 fuel supplier in the world if we just took all the grease from McD's and other fryer's and turned it into fuel.... I hear the chinese places have the best grease for making diesel with.

We need to ditch the gas engines and get diesel in the US like they have in Europe. Then rig up some hybrid diesel's and we're set. Putting our waste grease to use would really help.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

This comparison between hybrid and biodiesel doesn't make sense. Hybrid has nothing to do with the actual energy source (gas, diesel, biodiesel). Hybrid is merely a way to increase the efficiency of a given system.

I do agree that using food crops for fuel is a bad idea, especially bad in the case of corn. To date, the best idea I've seen is using algae. This can be done on land that is not fit for farming. Like Texas.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Major Uranium Miner

Originally Posted by farkedup
America could quickly become the #1 fuel supplier in the world if we just took all the grease from McD's and other fryer's and turned it into fuel.... I hear the chinese places have the best grease for making diesel with.

We need to ditch the gas engines and get diesel in the US like they have in Europe. Then rig up some hybrid diesel's and we're set. Putting our waste grease to use would really help.
Impossible. The 20 liters or so a day from each of the fast food places wouldn't even provide transportation fuel for the employees of the same place to get to work.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by owenscasper
Impossible. The 20 liters or so a day from each of the fast food places wouldn't even provide transportation fuel for the employees of the same place to get to work.
My thoughts, exactly! While this is a GREAT idea for the few and can work well for them, it cannot translate into a large-scale answer. Not enough waste oils to go around.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gumby
My thoughts, exactly! While this is a GREAT idea for the few and can work well for them, it cannot translate into a large-scale answer. Not enough waste oils to go around.
Can't hurt though something that would normally be GARBAGE gets used for fuel... There's SVO and then there's where you can turn it into Diesel. Use it to add to the Diesel fuel supply. Pair that with other things that can be used to produce diesel and you're set. Europe has diesel cars/trucks everywhere, why don't we? Make diesel hybrids and we're even better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hybrid versus biodiesel

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands