Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Alternative Fuel Vehicles (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/alternative-fuel-vehicles-78/)
-   -   Jobs Created by Domestic Biofuels (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/alternative-fuel-vehicles-78/jobs-created-domestic-biofuels-23504/)

gpsman1 12-19-2009 10:54 AM

Jobs Created by Domestic Biofuels

Biofuels Digest Online Magazine has concluded that an analysis of biofuels studies and announced projects show that 15.80 jobs are created for every 1 million gallons of biofuels capacity.

The Digest also found that studies and projects predicted an average of 4.7 indirect jobs, for every direct job created.

The Digest reviewed a selection of 34 projects and studies published over the past 30 months - including first generation ethanol and biodiesel, advanced biofuels and advanced feedstocks such as algae and jatropha.

Based on this analysis, the Digest concluded that the RFS2 mandates - which increase installed capacity from today's 13 billion gallons to 36 billion gallons by 2022, would require an additional $67.85 billion in capital, and would result in 363,400 new direct jobs and 1.707 million indirect jobs.

The job numbers increase substantially if feedstock production workers are included, in addition to employees at a bioprocessing facility.

nature-log 12-27-2009 09:22 AM

Re: Jobs Created by Domestic Biofuels

granted that more jobs are created if this technology is developed but does the digest conduct a comparison, or benchmark this against the employment generation capacity of other businesses? im sure the motive of this study was to promote biofuels but an objective decision would result if competitive data were provided.

im not all for fossil fuels but developing oil rigs can create hundreds of jobs in a single project. read this for the facts...http://www.articlealley.com/article_857026_36.html

i think the messier the energy production, the more jobs it will create with ease...what a blow to alternative energy

hydrokevin 02-11-2010 03:12 PM

I think this decade will be known as the alternative fuel and alternative energy decade. With stimulus money coming in, jobs in these sectors will follow.

GreenBoy 03-16-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by hydrokevin (Post 218561)
I think this decade will be known as the alternative fuel and alternative energy decade. With stimulus money coming in, jobs in these sectors will follow.

I really, really hope you're right. I know it's only 2010, but it'd be really nice if we could take a big turn in this direction.

Billyk 03-28-2010 06:25 AM

Coskata has a pilot plant 65 miles from my location (in Madison, Pa.) and is making fuel from wood chips and other carbon based items. At a production cost of approximately $1.00 a gallon! The future is now except for the those elective officials who think so highly of themselves.:(

GreenBoy 03-29-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk (Post 220897)
Coskata has a pilot plant 65 miles from my location (in Madison, Pa.) and is making fuel from wood chips and other carbon based items. At a production cost of approximately $1.00 a gallon! The future is now except for the those elective officials who think so highly of themselves.:(

Exactly!!