Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

Will You Consider Propane as Alternative Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Will You Consider Propane as Alternative Fuel

Some people nowadays consider propane as an alternative fuel to their cars but I think there are some consideration when it comes to that and make sure your car can actually accept it.

Propane or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is the most commonly used alternative transportation fuel and the third most used vehicle fuel, behind gasoline and diesel. Will you consider propane as alternative fuel to your car?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Will You Consider Propane as Alternative Fuel

I would think a person with as many useless posts as you have would be able to pipe enough methane from their **** cavity to run almost any car on the road today.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Whatever is not gasoline or diesel fuel, I would think would be considered an alternative fuel.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
I would think a person with as many useless posts as you have would be able to pipe enough methane from their **** cavity to run almost any car on the road today.
Awesome retort! He also blows a lot of hot air, which means perhaps wind power could be an alternate fuel for his car as well.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Indigo
Awesome retort! He also blows a lot of hot air, which means perhaps wind power could be an alternate fuel for his car as well.
Oh well, Thanks a lot and God bless you.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenBoy
Some people nowadays consider propane as an alternative fuel to their cars but I think there are some consideration when it comes to that and make sure your car can actually accept it.

Propane or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is the most commonly used alternative transportation fuel and the third most used vehicle fuel, behind gasoline and diesel. Will you consider propane as alternative fuel to your car?
Propane, while still a fossil fuel, is super common in fleet vehicles. It doesn't burn as clean as natural gas, but the pressure required for storage is almost ten times less, and will allow more than twice the trip length for the same storage volume.

It is a more mature technology, but still requires the obvious safety concerns. The most obvious one is that for normal passenger cars without external tanks, the trunk tanks, for example, are specific. You cannot use forklift style inside a trunk.

The conversion is cheaper than electric and still allows the driver to switch over to gasoline. This option is great for larger, carburetor engines, especially trucks that allow space for the universal forklift tanks. I'm not versed on fuel injected model conversions, but I imagine it's out there.

Keep in mind that LPG will burn hot, unlike alcohol, so cooling is still important.

Availability is much greater than alcohol or natural gas. Almost any U-Haul center will be glad to service your propane needs as added income for them. There are more stations than electric, CNG, or E-85 in the US.

The cost varies, depending where you are. From where I'm at in SoCalifornia, it's about in between CNG and alcohol. LPG is made in the US and doesn't affect too much the environment compared to the rest of the refining industry (Still yuck.) Better for the environment than gasoline or diesel, for sure, not only for the exhaust, but for particulate matter, as well. In fact, you won't need to change your oil as often, either, and your catalytic will last longer!

Sorry for the long message; 'been thinking the same.

Last edited by Fausto; 06-05-2012 at 12:28 AM.