Our Announcements The latest official news from Electric Vehicle Forums. Reply only.

More Database Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Site Founder

What? More mileage database updates? But, of course! Selecting a category to view is now accessed through a dropdown. As more cars are added to the list, it will be much more efficient. Also, the Escape has been added to the graph. Only a sample size of 3 so far. Where are the Escape drivers? Come on, guys! When I have time, there are two specific things I wish to do with the database. First, I'd like to redefine the web addresses so they are more user- and search engine-friendly. Then, I'd like to create an automatic reminder feature that emails drivers that have not updated their data in a while (or never added any at all). There are tons of cars that are hidden from public view because they have no data logged. And, countless others have not been updated in a while. More to come!

Old 11-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Site Founder

Is it just me, or is the new mileage graph B-E-A-U-tiful? haha I can't get over it. Since I made some cosmetic changes, I can't stop looking at it...

Old 11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I actually don’t like the dropdown myself I look at any tank updates over a 24 hour or so period and it was nice just to hit the “All Cars” link instead of a dropdown and then select.

___Another item. When viewing “All” and then click on the button for an individual automobile, it forces that cars page to load. I liked it better before when you could right click and open in a new window. I am sure I am abusing your bandwidth by constantly having to reload the “All Cars” page after viewing an individuals and it takes quite a bit of time as I am forced on dial up until either DSL is offered in my area.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Site Founder

I'll see about possibly opening up the detailed car pages in a new window. However, I'm afraid the dropdown is going to have to stay. It just isn't practical to take up so much room on the page with all the types of vehicles. It won't be long until I have to add the Accord, Highlander, RX... you get the picture.

You didn't comment on the beautification!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Site Founder

There. New window for you. Welcome!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:16 AM

Hi Jason:

___Ahhh … kind of like a cold drink on a hot summer day Much appreciated. I am not much of a looks guy but I remember a few months ago when you had a 3D looking description tag for “Site Creator”, “Moderator”, “Author, and “Sponsor” descriptions and I miss that given the replacement was and is only 2D.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Site Founder

So you know, the orange color that tells you when cars are updated is not completely reliable. It was added as an afterthought, and it's possible for people to make changes without it showing up orange. I am working to cover all the bases, however, and once I make that 100% reliable I'll be able to implement the feature that emails lazy members

Also, once I get the update feature working properly I can give you a URL that creates a table sorted by last updated... and only contains 25 or so. That'll speed you up.

Lastly, the 3D descriptions didn't fit at all with the site theme. I learned long ago that in web design, the "coolest" images are often the last ones I ought to use. User-friendliness and consistancy are much more important than bells and whistles.

Old 11-21-2004, 11:40 AM

Hi Jason:

___Boy would I like a “Review all tanks since last visit” link

___In my case, I am looking at Hypermilers for the most part but new drivers are also on the list because depending on where they are located or the details of their comments, I can get a feel for the type of car as well as the temperatures they are driving in. That and if I need to do a bit of research on that automobile over at the EPA. Those near the EPA estimates at tank #3 and #4 are the ones I am really watching as you can well imagine. Lakedude and his new HCH are currently in the target list as an example.

___Anyway, with the last 25 tanks link, it would cut my time by > half or better as the “car” in the new window just did. Thank you very much indeed!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Site Founder

I can get a feel for the type of car as well as the temperatures they are driving in.
Not anymore, you can't. I got rid of the temperature column. It's actually long overdue. For some reason, the equation to get this value is incorrect. Same reason why I took temperature, traffic, etc off the detailed page. I don't know how I could mess up an equation like that so badly, but trust me -- it happened.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:10 PM

Hi Jason:

___The temps are gone? You mean the overall temps, not the individual tank temps as they are still there from what I saw today. I don’t know what was wrong with the calc’s but I do know there is a difference in temps between someone driving in MN. vs one in south TX. I hope you can add a temperature weighted average back into the total sometime. Mileage weighted or simply an average is a very good piece of information imho.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: More Database Updates

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands