Our Announcements The latest official news from Electric Vehicle Forums. Reply only.

New Share Section

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Site Founder
Talking New Share Section

Okay, so I got anxious. I was up late doing some homework, and what do you know? It's past midnight.

I am pleased to announce the release of the GreenHybrid Share section, an interactive image gallery for you to share your photos.

I've pretty much themed the software and defined all the settings. There's one bug I know about: Quick Reply isn't yet working. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Congratulations to gbl102, winner of our contest. He will recieve a $100.00 gas card.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Excellent! Thanks Jason and gbl102!! Are there any guide lines for using the new Share area. What Image types should we post? And at what Size / Resulution? I have some photos to post but don't want to use all your server space.

Mike

Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Struggler at large

If I want to post a picture of my FEH, should I be posting under "Ford Escape Hybrid" or "Member Cars"?

Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributor ($)

mppkll,
I haven't taken a look at constaints on image size upload, but try this and see what you find.
When you go to the share section, click on the Upload link. You will be presented with upload information including a box that says
You have used a total of NUMBER bytes space out of NUMBER space allowed.
You have NUMBER space remaining.
Report back here what it says in place of NUMBER.

As far as content. Let's avoid the usual things like copyrighted material and ****. If you're ever unsure, ask a moderator first.

gbl102
For now, go ahead and for post them under member cars.

Last edited by ericbecky; 04-01-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Site Founder

Great question. I think I'll end up making the models subcategories of "Member Cars" so it's less confusing.

There's no upload limit; images are resized to 640px.

I'll be grabbing extra moderators to watch out for family-unfriendly content.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Site Founder

Actually, there was an upload limit. It was 2MB; I changed it to 3MB. They aren't stored at full size, though... waaay too much storage space required.

I've also disabled bitmap filetypes because their filesize is rediculous. I don't know why anyone would have bitmaps in the first place, but *cough* there are already some in the gallery!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:16 PM

Because when you get images off the net using internet explorer it saves them as bitmaps. As far as I know you don't have a choice.

I know this because I am handicaped with a windows machine at work.

Maybe you can convert them to jpg automagicaly. I use a program in Linux called ImageMagic or something like that. It has a command line untility called convert. You could call that any time a bmp is uploaded or something.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Site Founder

Tom,
IE doesn't save images as bitmaps. It saves as whatever the source file is. Right click > Save As...

The software uses GD2, which is similar to ImageMagic. Actually, they do the same thing. There isn't any conversion function integrated, though, so unless I find a hack, no can do. But, honestly, you should be able to use jpegs instead. Where were you downloading from?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Cool

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tdb30

Thats my car website. I was right clicking some of the pictures and doing a save as.

I swear to you that the image was a jpg and windows would only save it in bmp format.

But now that I'm home I deleted the images I put up and put up the jpegs.

Last edited by tbaleno; 04-01-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Site Founder

It depends how you save them. If you're copying the picture and pasting in Microsoft Paint, it'll be a bitmap. But, that's just about the most horrible image program ever made. Don't use it for stuff like this. If you didn't use paint, I have no idea how that happened...

Quick Reply: New Share Section

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands