Our Announcements The latest official news from Electric Vehicle Forums. Reply only.

Real Mileage Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Site Founder

First off, the one database will do I'm adding things all the time so that there are more calculations, etc. It is a CALCULATED lifetime mileage on the index page based on the data provided. I'll do what I can to try and have a more accurate LM, but there are too many people who can't calculate themselves.

Also, why remove the Corolla?

Right now I have the database set up to leave the data for a car that has been deleted, basically because the data is still assumed to be good. The part that I didn't think about earlier is that it isn't possible to go back and edit that data without it attaching itself to another car. Perhaps I'll make it delete data when the car is deleted.

As far as editing, I removed the update of the timestamp so the original date will stay put. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___Because I don’t have the Corolla’s or the MDX’s lifetime mileage, I only have either a few month’s worth of totals or Highs.

___This leads to another problem … Since we are only displaying our averages, I don’t know what temperatures are supposed to mean? I know I have driven in as low as -5 and as high as 43 degrees F in the Insight so I placed 20 degrees as the temperature. It is probably close to the average but no one is going to keep that record for every drive no matter the length but what happens when we start traveling into the mid to high 80’s here in the upper Midwest? The average would be ~ 40 - 45 degrees which would not be representative either.

___A suggestion … In the data entry and displayed forms and formats, I think you should have an overall average for those that know it (all Insighter’s will) and an all time high with temperatures for that extreme. As the database stands now, there is a Prius driver with an ~ 75 mpg average which doesn’t look right either? The Japanese fellow that hit a 75 miler as his high has a lmpg of just 58 mpg which sounds about right w/ a 75 mile all time high.

___Maybe I need to see what you have and haven’t done to the Dbase before I get too excited about it …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Site Founder

Wayne,

First off, I am steadily coming up with ways to ensure better data. Look at the "add" page. I am also contacting members personally. The temperature is just that -- what you think the average temperature is for that period. It's approximate. Of course, it isn't exact, but it's better than nothing and in the long run, the averages will be pretty darn close. Also, EVERYTHING is weighted -- not just the mileages. This means that if the main page shows 54 degrees, that's 54 degrees weighted based on distance, so it's accurate Lastly, the 75mpg Prius is another Wayne. I will speak to him about adding his other data, else I don't think it will be useful. Don't bash the Prius owners, though. I'm well aware that Insights don't average 83.6 mpg

Old 03-02-2004, 02:28 PM

Hi Jason:

___No Prius bashing here

___83 mpg as a lifetime average is lower then quite a few Insighter’s lifetime mileage. Rick Reese is sitting at 89.6 mpg over 85,000 + miles right now. His lmpg isn’t showing properly at all given all of the entries he uploaded over the last 2 days. I am hoping to be at ~ 82 by the end of April if we can maintain these nice temperatures in the Chicagoland area and into the mid 80’s by mid summer. My current tank has had 6 trips in total with each segment in the low 80’s to low 90’s w/ an 83.4 mpg tank average over 579 miles showing. Well, I can always hope this will continue?

___Now you can see some your members dilemmas. We have tank mpg averages and distances, we have segment mpg averages and distances, and we have lifetime mpg’s and distances. I don’t remember how the 04 Prius calculated these out nor offered them as viewable information but some of this info is in the FCD (Fuel Consumption Display) displays of every Insight built.

___I knew I shouldn’t have erased the previous owners 82.2 lmpg 2 months ago

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 03-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Site Founder

Wayne,

Even Rick's average is displaying as 93mpg. I guess that means he's cheating, too, right?

The Prius only displays instantaneous and tank averages.

Now that you understand that all data is weighted, are you content? Also, what do you think of the new data?

Old 03-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Site Founder

Oh, and I set it up to delete data along with cars.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:22 PM

Hi Jason:

___I like how our cars in the database are cross shaded differently then anyone else’s when viewing the entire list. That was a neat trick!

___As for cheating, I really would like to see segments, tanks, and lifetimes side by side. If we don’t have some of the data, we’d leave it blank but it will give credence to those that have achieved stunning numbers. As an example, Rick’s many 100 - 105 mpg entire tanks will never show but for the last 40,000 + miles, he probably hasn’t failed to match 95 – 105 mpg + on each tank … With a lifetime at 89.6, a 100 -105 tank mpg from him makes complete sense. A 105 miler coming from me w/ just a bit beyond 7,000 miles within the next week or two might/would be a little suspicious as would a 75-80 miler from someone with a 52 mpg lmpg average.

___I just don’t have a way to properly input a tank or segment highs for the Corolla or the MDX right now with the Dbase’s current structure. It is really setup for lifetime mpg’s I guess?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 PM

wayne...why delete the corolla?
you can just start 'er up w/ new data...i dont have any info but the milages in my head...so i just started anew.

Old 03-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Site Founder

xcel -- I assume you are aware of the "detailed" button?

Old 03-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Site Founder

Doesn't anyone own a Prius THS (Classic)? There's only 1 in the database and it looks like it's beating out the Prius HSD by 10mpg

Quick Reply: Real Mileage Database

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands