Our Announcements The latest official news from Electric Vehicle Forums. Reply only.

Real Mileage Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I will have to check at another time as well … A 16 hour day tomorrow and I have to go myself.

___As for modified automobiles, I know of at least 4 that have been in your list although I will not say which ones In the case of the Insight, we route the std. OEM intake piping from behind the radiator to next to the CAT shield behind the motor and we throw a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator on a built in shelf. Less then 30 seconds to install or remove. It is not that much of a mod but it does improve winter temperature mileage. This works for 04 Prius’ as well if you haven’t followed those Japanese 04 Prius drivers that use this technique in colder temperatures. Once we reach ~ 50 + degrees F, the mod(s) are pulled as they don’t add anything (they are actually detrimental in some cases) after that …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Site Founder

Wayne,

Why won't you let me know which cars in the database are modified? From now on it will be automatic, but I would like to edit manually those who are modified and not labeled.

Old 03-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Site Founder

What do you think about a simple checkbox in the secure area that asks the user whether all of the data they have entered is an accurate representation of their averages? If they check this box, their data will appear on the main page.

This would both weed out those who are just messing around and would also remind people that this is not a hi/lo chart.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributor ($)

I can attest that my vehicle has a few changes, but I do not think it would necessitate not including the data. I merely think that my vehicle page should have a place where I can note the three things that I have changed so that there is full disclosure. Changes 1 and 2 below simply help cars in colder climates get on par with warmer climates.

Here are the changes:
1) I have routed an air intake hose that directs warm air from the back of the engine rather than cold air front the front of the engine. It is what Wayne G described above. It is a change I think all people in cold climates would do if they realized it takes less than 1 minute to do and completely reversible. (Read: remove when going in for dealer service.)
2) I also block some of the radiator with cardboard in the winter so the car gets up to operating temperature faster. Is this a modification, too? I suppose in the strictest sense, yes, but I also believe this is something most people should do as well. I don’t have a garage to park my car in, so it always sits outside. Without the cardboard, it would be a longer time until it reached operating temperature, compared to someone who parks inside a garage.
3) Lastly, when appropriate, I maintain the tire pressure higher than the manual suggests. Is that a modification?

These are all things so easy my mom could do them. I would hardly consider them true modifications to the vehicle. It’s not like I’ve added some sort of extra high powered battery or installed a turbocharger.

Eric

Old 03-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Site Founder

I suppose you're right -- though this poses some serious questions. Should extremely-modified cars (as is Wayne's -- Prius Wayne) be allowed in aggregate statistics? They will skew the data.

Still, I'm not sure what to do about the LMPG vs. Trip vs. High, etc data. There really is no good way to do this. Either people add all their data or just their LMPG, but since most people don't know their LMPG that only leaves one option. People, however, refuse to add all their data.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Site Founder

Okay, well I went ahead and fixed the "mod" problem. There's now a way to edit cars, as well. In the car data, one can input information about car modifications, which are outputted on the Detailed page. Lots of fun.

Now that that's taken care of, the main issue is what to do about the mileage calculations as far as having comparable data. I really can't ask for a LMPG from some and calculate it for others, because this is inconsistant and I won't have the data to back all of it up. I can't give the option of only providing trips that won't be calculated, because then the data won't be used in the totals -- I'll basically throw it away.

Can you think of any good solution?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Contributor ($)

As an Insight owner, it takes some effort to put in every trip.
It would be easier, and less time consuming, to put in each tankful instead.
Every trip would be accounted for in aggregate, but the details about some of the really good days and really bad days would be lost.

Also, just double checking that I have been adding information correctly.
I have been adding each trip. Yesterday, for example I had 4 trips. One trip to work; one trip to an offsite location; one trip back to work; and one trip back home from work.
This is four trips and should be recorded as four seperate entries, correct?

Eric

Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason and Ericbecky:

___If there were a highest segment (Absolute), a highest tank average, and a lifetime average (lmpg), data blocks, I don’t see where the problem would lye? Keeping track of every trip is nuts. It is hard enough to keep up with the climbing averages as the warmer weather is approaching. The Absolute’s and Highest tank averages are great to see but the lmpg’s are where the money meets the road. You only need to create an average for the particular car based on that number. The highest tanks and absolutes are to show the new reader what is possible in the cars that have been posted.

___The key is that when someone posts a 108 mpg absolute high segment, they will have to place it into the highest segment only. Seeing 108 mpg in the highest segment, highest tank, and lmpg would kick that data out as false in a heartbeat imho.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Site Founder

Important: I did NOT intend for values to be inputted for every single ride in the car. Rather, every tank. I WILL go back and reword everything so that is clear. However, the one field that asks for average trip length -- that is the average time you are in the car for each ride of this tank.

Xcel, I can make available hi's and lo's on a car's detailed page, but this information will NEVER make it to the main mileage page. The main page needs to be accurate average data for cars.

This is my todo list:
1) Reword the database
2) Create an interface for hi's/lo's

Old 03-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributor ($)

D-oh!
I thought "trip time" meant the exact amount of time you were in the car that trip!
I will remove/change my data!
I have the last 5 tankfuls (as well as two others) which I will enter.
Sorry!!!!!!!!

Eric

Quick Reply: Real Mileage Database

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands