Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Hydrogen Vehicles (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hydrogen-vehicles-80/)
-   -   Honda promises hydrogen sedan in '08 !! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hydrogen-vehicles-80/honda-promises-hydrogen-sedan-08-a-13512/)

lars-ss 05-11-2007 06:02 AM

Honda promises hydrogen sedan in '08 !!

I'll be in line for one of these I'm almost certain !!!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...l_N.htm?csp=34

Honda loves to be first:

1. First USA Hybrid car
2. First USA seller with 2 hybrid cars
3. First V6 hybrid (HAH)

They look like they want another !!!

WASHINGTON — Honda (HMC) says it will put a sleek hydrogen fuel-cell sedan into limited production next year and also will sell a unique mass-market hybrid in the USA within two years, priced less than the $25,000 Civic hybrid.
The automaker announced the vehicles Thursday at a demonstration here of prototypes of the FCX fuel-cell sedans it will offer in the USA next year.
General Motors (GM) also has promised to hand over to individuals some time this year 100 Chevrolet Equinox SUVs modified to run on fuel-cell power.

desdemona 07-25-2007 11:49 PM

Re: Honda promises hydrogen sedan in '08 !!

I'm wondering,since there is no infrastructure, how people will actually fill up. I think Honda should get real and go with the plug-in.

--des

msantos 07-26-2007 07:38 AM

They have produced a residential filling station that will convert NG to Hydrogen as the primary enabler.
Honda also produces several other types of residential energy solutions which bodes well for them in terms of experience and market viability.

It is a pity these sedans will not be available where I live. I would sign for one ASAP.

Cheers;

MSantos

desdemona 07-26-2007 10:35 AM

Exactly how are the producing energy cheaply? Or are they saying. Because my understanding was that hydrogen was expensive and energy intensive to produce. IMO, plug-ins are the way to go at present. Are a bridge to electric and would compete with Toyota and vaporware , imo, Volt.

But if they could make the hydrogen without shutting the house down, it would be a neat little solution for a commuter car. They make 0 emissions, and the range would be adequate for anybody. Of course that doesn't include how they make the hydrogen.

--des

msantos 07-26-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by desdemona (Post 135763)
But if they could make the hydrogen without shutting the house down, it would be a neat little solution for a commuter car. They make 0 emissions, and the range would be adequate for anybody. Of course that doesn't include how they make the hydrogen.

Des, that is a very good point.

But the operative word is not "could". Instead ,it is "can". Let's both agree on something here: This is Honda. Not GM. They've have had residential and commercial power/energy conversion units on the market for quite some time now (some are being sold under other brand names but still designed and made by Honda). If anyone can do it, then Honda will... since nobody else is as experienced and confident on this front.

I can guarantee you that this is not vaporware. Of course, the alternative is to let history unfold. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

desdemona 07-26-2007 01:09 PM

That's a good point as well. This is Honda and not GM. Btw, i don't know why Honda doesn't get the nod as the "greenist" car company. True the HCH doesn't get quite the mileage that the Prius does, but the Impulse gets/got better (and no doubt the Fit will when it comes out). And Honda said it *could* meet the new CAFE standards, and Toyota said it couldn't. That said I have a Toyota and think its a great car. Either one does way way better than GM-- too bad. Too bad they killed the electric car or we might be having a different conversation.

I think it remains to be seen what/how the hydrogen car will work. I know there are prototypes around of such a thing. I think the Governator drives one??

--des

Originally Posted by msantos (Post 135770)
Des, that is a very good point.

But the operative word is not "could". Instead ,it is "can". Let's both agree on something here: This is Honda. Not GM. They've have had residential and commercial power/energy conversion units on the market for quite some time now (some are being sold under other brand names but still designed and made by Honda). If anyone can do it, then Honda will... since nobody else is as experienced and confident on this front.

I can guarantee you that this is not vaporware. Of course, the alternative is to let history unfold. :)

Cheers;

MSantos

msantos 07-26-2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by desdemona (Post 135811)
That's a good point as well. This is Honda and not GM. Btw, i don't know why Honda doesn't get the nod as the "greenist" car company.

Des:

Honda is the greenest car company (closely followed by Toyota in the latest reports). Almost every single organization, (private and federal) acknowledges Honda for having the cleanest fleet and the best environmental track record of any automaker on the planet.

The public and even the less informed media outlets however, may unwillingly portray Toyota as the messenger of clean technology by virtue of the Prius success. I just wish Toyota "dumped" their V8 powered cars and trucks so that they could nibble at Honda's heels better, but knowing them for what they've been for last 30 years, tells me they wont do it. :embarass:

Cheers;

MSantos

desdemona 07-26-2007 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by msantos (Post 135815)
Des:

The public and even the less informed media outlets however, may
Cheers;

MSantos

"Less informed" media outlets-- that would be 95% of them, or am I being generous here? :-}

--des