how long before fuel cell cars make an impact?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Malcontent
Default Re: how long before fuel cell cars make an impact?

http://www.internationaltransportfor...FIA-Lemmet.pdf

Page 8 has an illustration of relative efficiencies.

For electric vehicles, grid to charger to battery is 93% and battery to motor is 93% for 86% overall.

For hydrogen, it's 70% for H2O electrolysis, 90% for H2 compression, and 40% for the fuel cell for 25% overall.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sward
Any evidence for that? Because that is exactly backwards from what I've seen.

Now, I must admit that I don't have the counter-evidence handy either; I'll look for it when I get some time.
OK, here's one source (Scientific American 2006, "Hybrid Vehicles Gain Traction" - Google it to find the links). The last page says fuel-cell efficiency is on the order of 25% (assuming electrolysis as the hydrogen source), whereas battery electric is more like 80%.

That's a heck of a difference.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Sure it'll be years before FCVs are viable for mass consumption ..... but you have to start somewhere.

If any of us were around 100 years ago when cars first came out, we'd have called them noisy, smelly, uncomfortable, unreliable contraptions. Then we would have gotten back on our horses and rode home.

And ~90 years ago a buyer had a choice of Electric, Steam, Diesel, and Gas Electric Hybrid for propulsion.

~50 years ago, "Detroit" thought that Turbine and Nuclear engines would be the vehicle of the future, and worked hard on both concepts.

~20 years ago, people thought the idea of something that didn't run on gasoline or diesel was laughable and weird.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-19-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
http://www.internationaltransportfor...FIA-Lemmet.pdf

Page 8 has an illustration of relative efficiencies.

For electric vehicles, grid to charger to battery is 93% and battery to motor is 93% for 86% overall.

For hydrogen, it's 70% for H2O electrolysis, 90% for H2 compression, and 40% for the fuel cell for 25% overall.
Yikes... thought fuel cells did better than that!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Sure it'll be years before FCVs are viable for mass consumption ..... but you have to start somewhere.

If any of us were around 100 years ago when cars first came out, we'd have called them noisy, smelly, uncomfortable, unreliable contraptions. Then we would have gotten back on our horses and rode home.

You have to start somewhere.

And we SHOULD have started back in 1973, during the previous oil crisis. But our friends in Congress didn't want to give up the gas tax revenue, and their campaign contributors from Detroit preferred to keep churning out the same gas-guzzling junk they always had.

We're at least 35 years behind the curve, and obviously Congress and Detroit aren't going to provide any answers.

Same as it ever was.
+1, 100% (although I'm hoping to be proven wrong with the Chevy Volt)

Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Nothing will happen in the U. S. in the near future, but Japan and several countries in the European Union are building out their hydrogen infrastructure at a faster pace than the U. S. So, those in the U. S. will be followers rather than leaders in fuel cell vehicles.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

There are far to many problems and restrictions to Hydrogen operated auto cell phones in comparison to fold petrol and connect in compounds to make it a truly aggressive technology. Individually, Hydrogen vehicles are supposed to be in the same classification as the Atomic and Generator vehicles, as major deceased finishes.