43 mpg average!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 43 mpg average!

Looks like you answered your own question.
In this market I doubt it will be thousands difference. More like hundreds. I don't do "What ifs " very well as they are pure conjecture and speculation based on emotion and usually not facts.

Since dealers are being allowed to remain open, mostly if not entirely, on new car sales where we buy has a huge effect on who lives and who dies. Something to think about. No?

While I don't discourage looking around and shopping for price. I hope that in the final analysis folks look at more than just price as what they do will impact a lot of folks.
Case in point, buying foreign over domestic and the lost jobs and incomes that go with the territory. Something to think about again. No?

I'm not trying to argue just shedding a little light on how our decisions can have an impact on others in a bigger than often imagined way.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Green Car Enthusiast

I recently started my own blog devoted to green cars. If anyone would like to read it, I would appreciate some feedback.

The link is http://www.blogwebsites.net/member.php?member=greencars

feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think!

-Michael

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

I left a reply. Change the color of the underlined text to something different. I can't read the blue and I have a good system.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Xdiesel

I live in the hills of Connecticut, so I see varying road conditions. If I'm on a long stretch of gently down sloping road, EV will be on for as much as four miles until the ICE kicks in to charge. I'm still learning tricks on how to drive the FFH. Hitting the gas to get up to speed then backing off to go into EV seems to work well. There should be a tread on driving techniques so all can share.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

my 09 Honda Civic Hybrid used to get 44 mpg on the interstate now it only gets 33 mpg. I should have got a FFH.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bart it looks like winter hits your Honda pretty hard. It may return when the weather warms. Or something bad has happened. Either way I would take it to the dealer and see what they say.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

Still doesn't beat the Prius

Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by richoxfordblue
I live in the hills of Connecticut, so I see varying road conditions. If I'm on a long stretch of gently down sloping road, EV will be on for as much as four miles until the ICE kicks in to charge. I'm still learning tricks on how to drive the FFH. Hitting the gas to get up to speed then backing off to go into EV seems to work well. There should be a tread on driving techniques so all can share.
Hi Rich

The FFH powertrain is almost the same as my '09 FEH and I post my techniques all the time. The serious hypermilers at http://www.cleanmpg.com/
post lots of known techniques for all cars and trucks. The best technique is called P&G (Pulse and Glide) which is accelerate to a higher speed and coast down with the engine Off in neutral. The FFH and FEH is great with this technique because they both have fuel-cut (DFSO) and EV. Here is a thread I started on the '09 FEH that should help:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22158

I just won first place in Division A the last 3 month quarter challenge with my daily commute totaling 3,100 miles with an average of 57.7mpg in my '09 FEH using E10 gas. If I had your FFH, I would have done much better.

GaryG

Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Rich

I just won first place in Division A the last 3 month quarter challenge with my daily commute totaling 3,100 miles with an average of 57.7mpg in my '09 FEH using E10 gas. If I had your FFH, I would have done much better.

GaryG
Gary, how the heck does this happen? I am a very careful and smart driver, it seems, now having had a year to learn this thing, and I don't see how this can be done unless you are on back roads and getting towed uphill! Seriously, this mystifies me. I do have to drive in light traffic, but do everything I can think of to mitigate those effects including rolling stops when it's safe! Currently, I only get 41.1mpg in my 2010 FFH, but that starts increasing maybe to 43.5 in another month as the weather stays in the 80's.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ncp10
Gary, how the heck does this happen? I am a very careful and smart driver, it seems, now having had a year to learn this thing, and I don't see how this can be done unless you are on back roads and getting towed uphill! Seriously, this mystifies me. I do have to drive in light traffic, but do everything I can think of to mitigate those effects including rolling stops when it's safe! Currently, I only get 41.1mpg in my 2010 FFH, but that starts increasing maybe to 43.5 in another month as the weather stays in the 80's.
It's all the techniques I use together and one hell of a Ford drivetrain. I don't need to do anything that would void my warranty like turning Off the key and coasting like most hypermilers do. I drive everywhere in mostly heavy traffic and avoid the Interstate when I can.

Wayne Gerdes, Ford Engineers and race car driver Carl Edwards averaged over 80mpg on a tank of gas in the FFH, so I know it can be done in your FFH. That was done on regular gas so no telling what I could do with my FEH because I only can get E10 here in Florida.

When I first got my '05 FEH I was getting over 40mpg tanks before break-in and was just learning how to drive a hybrid. Wayne start communicating with me here in the FEH forum and I continued to learn more and more techniques together. Ford must have been monitoring the techniques I was coming up with because the '09 FEH eliminated the need to use some of them like the "Low Gear Advantage" that I came up with for the older FEH. That technique is used today in the '05 - '08 FEH and causes the FEH to go EV at ~40mph.

I was one of the first people to order and get the '09 FEH which has many of the same upgrades as the '10 FFH. It took a little time to learn the best hypermiling techniques, but this '09 FEH is something else. Your FFH is even better!

You have to change your driving habits in order to improve your mileage. Plan your routes to drive in 25 -45mph speed limits as much as possible and coast in neutral while in EV. Use a SGII to monitor Instant MPG, SoC percentage, Open/Closed Loop, Coolant Temp. or Tank MPG. Practice P&G because that's where the best mileage can be had.

GaryG

Quick Reply: 43 mpg average!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands