Any Fusion hybrid sightings yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Any Fusion hybrid sightings yet?

Has anyone seen the FFH on a dealer lot yet? I went to a local dealership (not the one where I ordered the car) on Friday (3/13) and they had none of the 2010's (hybrid or not). I was told they would be in shortly, perhaps by next week, with hybrids coming by end of month. I was urged to order by 3/31 to get the full tax credit. When I told the salesman I had already purchased one at invoice, he said I was a liar and basically accused the rival dealer of a bait and switch.

All I had to say is "nice way to ingratiate yourself with a potential customer." I won't say the dealer, but let's it has "Power" in its name.

As I posted elsewhere, I had a special pricing deal to get the vehicle at invoice. The dealership is in the Los Angeles area. I have contacted my salesman, and he said he could offer any FFH at $500 over invoice (this is without any add-ons, dealer accessories, etc.) to anyone I refer. So let me know by private message and I will give you his contact information if any of your are interested. Even if you are out of state, it is easy to do. I have bought vehicles out of state from dealers before without any hitch. You usually don't pay sales tax to the dealer, but rather to your state DMV when you register the car. The only added price is shipping (unless you come pick it up) of about $600.

And BTW, I am getting nothing out of this. Well almost nothing, since the salesman said he would give me a free oil change.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any Fusion hybrid sightings yet?

I would bet Ford is sending most of the initial Fusion Hybrids to California just as they did with the 2009 Escape Hybrid vehicles. Those of us in different parts of country are in the waiting mode.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ford told dealers they would be allocating FFH's to the high impact Hybrid markets. They opened it up to all markets to get as many orders in as possible under the 3/31 deadline for the $3,400 tax incentive. The allocation strategy will have to be adjusted after they see how many orders have come in by 3/31.

The issue now is whether the IRS has changed the rules mid-stream and may not let us claim the credit based on purchase date - only the in-service date. Hopefully someone is getting clarification!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hey,

That is what happened to me at multiple dealerships! They said NO WAY did someone order the FFH at invoice or ANYWHERE near invoice! Most wanted full sticker or above to order one. I did get one dealer to offer $1k off the sticker.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Make sure about the tax credit. I have multiple IRS offices near my office and ventured there to get it clarified. I spoke with a guy they called an IRS attorney and was an expert at IRS law and claims. He said the vehicle has to be "in service and licensed" to be eligible for a tax credit. He said the IRS is well aware of the FFH and the $3400.00 tax credit expiration date. He said the "purchase or order date" will not be eligible for the tax credit. He also said for those found in violation there will be penalties. (Whatever that means).

Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd1964
Make sure about the tax credit. I have multiple IRS offices near my office and ventured there to get it clarified. I spoke with a guy they called an IRS attorney and was an expert at IRS law and claims. He said the vehicle has to be "in service and licensed" to be eligible for a tax credit. He said the IRS is well aware of the FFH and the $3400.00 tax credit expiration date. He said the "purchase or order date" will not be eligible for the tax credit. He also said for those found in violation there will be penalties. (Whatever that means).
Todd,

This whole "tax credit" issue is sticky. Ford should request an official opinion from the IRS to clear up the matter. In the meantime, Ford has declared in writing that a firm vehicle order by 3/31 qualifies the ultimate purchaser for the full credit. If that is disallowed by the IRS, it would seem to me that Ford would be responsible. This is what Ford wrote to their dealers late last month (my salesman sent me a copy):

Since Ford Motor Company reached the 60,000 vehicle threshold in the 4th Quarter of 2008, under current federal law the tax credit amounts are reduced by 50% beginning April 1, 2009 and by an additional 25% beginning October 1, 2009.* No tax credit amount is available for hybrids after March 31, 2010. Customers who order or purchase any Hybrids by 3/31/09 will remain eligible for the full tax credit amounts. (This applies to Retail Orders of Fusion/Milan Hybrid.)
You can't get much clearer than that. No mention of the legal disclaimer about "checking with your accountant" or similar language. I and others have ordered this vehicle with the expectation of eligibility for the full $3400 rebate. Had that not been the case, I would have waited a few months to "kick the tires." If the IRS sends me a letter next year cutting my credit in half, I will come looking for Ford.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by frankieboy
Todd,

This whole "tax credit" issue is sticky. Ford should request an official opinion from the IRS to clear up the matter. In the meantime, Ford has declared in writing that a firm vehicle order by 3/31 qualifies the ultimate purchaser for the full credit. If that is disallowed by the IRS, it would seem to me that Ford would be responsible. This is what Ford wrote to their dealers late last month (my salesman sent me a copy):

You can't get much clearer than that. No mention of the legal disclaimer about "checking with your accountant" or similar language. I and others have ordered this vehicle with the expectation of eligibility for the full $3400 rebate. Had that not been the case, I would have waited a few months to "kick the tires." If the IRS sends me a letter next year cutting my credit in half, I will come looking for Ford.
Also, if you look at the new IRS Form and the instructions, the credit is not for the tax year of purchase, it is for the tax year the vehicle was put into service. I'm reading this like Ford is and that the full tax credit can be locked in, but you must use it the tax year it's placed into service.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8910.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8910.pdf

GaryG

Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good news from my salesman. He sent me an email today with the following:

"Just wanted to give you and update. Your car is scheduled to go into production the week of 04/13. Once in prodution it is shipped soon after that. I will keep you informed as I get more information. You can also see the Vin # has been assigned to your car."

I ordered my car about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It looks like about 8 weeks from order to delivery, which is just what I was told when i placed the order. I am surprised that they have not done better getting these to dealers before the end of the month. I'll bet the December, 2008, shutdown of the factories, plus all the 2009's on the dealer lots had much to do with it.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Todd1964
Hey,

That is what happened to me at multiple dealerships! They said NO WAY did someone order the FFH at invoice or ANYWHERE near invoice! Most wanted full sticker or above to order one. I did get one dealer to offer $1k off the sticker.
I did. So let him know. Give him my phone number and he can call me direct and ask me.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frankieboy
Good news from my salesman. He sent me an email today with the following:

"Just wanted to give you and update. Your car is scheduled to go into production the week of 04/13. Once in prodution it is shipped soon after that. I will keep you informed as I get more information. You can also see the Vin # has been assigned to your car."

I ordered my car about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It looks like about 8 weeks from order to delivery, which is just what I was told when i placed the order. I am surprised that they have not done better getting these to dealers before the end of the month. I'll bet the December, 2008, shutdown of the factories, plus all the 2009's on the dealer lots had much to do with it.
I also heard from my dealer. My FFH goes into production the week of 4/20. I ordered mine back in January. With a May delivery, that makes it about four months from order to delivery.

Quick Reply: Any Fusion hybrid sightings yet?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands