Anyone heard about the brake "failure" issue in the FFH?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone heard about the brake "failure" issue in the FFH?

Just read about this on Ford Fusion Forum. I think 2 or 3 people have had this happen and there is apparently a TSB on it. Doesn't sound good!

Noel

Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone heard about the brake "failure" issue in the FFH?

Its actually in the third gen Prius. It was reported on MSN yesterday. No recall yet by Toyota just a statement of awareness of an issue. Though one person in the story said he almost ran a red light and hit some people.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's actually in the FFH too:

"I love my Ford Fusion and have had zero problems until this past weekend. I was driving into New York City and as soon as I turned off the parkway into Manhattan, the brakes failed! The car was on, drove and steered fine, but there were no power brakes. It was as if a manual transmission car had stalled, but even worse. An error light came on the left panel saying "Check Brake System" and the parking brake light was on. I was able to quickly pull over. I put it in park, turned the car off, and then immediately started it up. All was fine with no lights or bells. On the way home the next day, the brakes failed just before I got on the highway and after I got off the highway 2 hours away.

Fortunately I was able to drive it to the Ford dealer today for servicing. They've, of course, never heard of this problem and can't believe it happened. It sounds to me like a computer / electronic problem.

Anyone hear of this issue?"

Here are the rest of the tales of woe:
http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index...ailure-on-nyc/

I am going to call Ford directly and mention the TSB. From the posts on this dealerships were not aware, and brake failure is something you don't want to wait and found out if your car is affected! I'll let you know if I find out anything meaningful.

Noel

Old 12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, it's not a brake failure. You still have brakes when this happens, you just don't have the electric motor (operating like a generator) to slow you down. The wiring harness in vehicles built before 5/16/09 can pick up a signal that makes it think it should not use the electric motor as a brake. Once you restart the vehicle (cycle the key), it sees that it is ok and works again.

The TSB changes up the wiring routing so that whatever was causing the errant signal in the main waring harness is by-passed.

Tell everyone that drives your unit, if built before 5/16, to push harder on the brake pedal if the "generator" assist does not operate. If it has not happened, don't expect them to do the TSB. It's not a recall. They may find it only happens with vehicles with added accessories (remote start, alarm systems, etc.)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Red! Time to go see when my car was built . . .

03/09 was the date of manufacture it appears. I'm still going to f/u with the dealer because this is an issue that could at a minimum derail your concentration a bit since brake effect will clearly be different than normal. This does not seem like so benign an issue that one should wait until it happens, it seems to me.

Red, as you are in the know, can you post the text from the TSB perhaps?

Noel

Last edited by ncp10; 12-30-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I know the service manager at the local Ford dealer and he tells me vehicles affected will show a check brake message (tho don't think that is what FFH forum posters mentioned) at which point they will fix the car, so you are spot on. Apparently they don't see a safety concern yet . . .

Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Christbarr44

I never heard about the Brake Failure issue in FFH. So please beware about the safety concern.
Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't have a subscription for TSB's, perhaps someone who does can post it here. It is not brake failure. If the electric motor does not slow you down, press further down on the brake pedal - they still work! The first inch or so of brake pedal travel signals the computer to use the electric motor to slow the vehicle down- normal brake system beyond that.

Now, the best we can hope for is all FFH owners join the forum so they know what to expect and what to do if their vehicle experiences the condition.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Red, the service manager I mentioned is sending me a copy . . .

Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

FORD CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM

Ford is proactively announcing a customer satisfaction program to update the software of the regenerative brake system of some 2010-model Ford Fusion Hybrids and Mercury Milan Hybrids.

Dearborn, Mich., Feb. 4, 2010 – Today, we are announcing a customer satisfaction program to update the software of the regenerative brake system of some 2010-model Ford Fusion Hybrids and Mercury Milan Hybrids.

We have received reports that some drivers have experienced a different brake feel when the hybrid’s unique regenerative brakes switch to conventional hydraulic braking. While the vehicles maintain full braking capability, customers may initially perceive the condition as loss of brakes.

To be clear, the Fusion and Milan Hybrids’ brake system maintains full conventional brakes and full ABS function even as the customer sees visual indicators and hears a chime. The software threshold to transition from regenerative brakes to conventional brakes can cause the system to transition to conventional brakes unnecessarily.

The software upgrade will reduce unnecessary occurrences of the vehicle switching from regenerative braking to conventional hydraulic brakes.

Customers with affected vehicles will receive a notice in the mail. We are asking owners of affected vehicles to have vehicle software reprogrammed at dealers at no charge.

There have been no injuries related to this condition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone heard about the brake "failure" issue in the FFH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands