Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Thank you Trav for doing that. I think I'm going to hold off on trying to repeat that until after my next oil change, at which point I will have them under fill the oil to maybe 3/4 of the way between low and high mark, so about 1/4 to 1/2 quart lower than max, then retest. I'd hate to have that happen again.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Enthusiast

Had a very similar thing happen earlier today -- was stuck on the freeway behind a vehicle moving at 40 mph, had to punch it to get into the other lane to pass him as I only had a small opening in the other lane, and blew out a huge smoke cloud, and the engine light was flashing for about a minute.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Traveller
Blue smoke usually means oil in the chamber. This is usually caused by a poor seal/worn rings. The period of EV would allow oil to accumulate in a cylinder if there was a leak. This usually happens in older vehicles with many miles.

As you surmise, the check engine light was probably in response to the unburned hydrocarbons (the oil) in the exhaust.

If it happens again, I would definitely have it checked.
i had the same thing happened tonight on my 2010 ford fusion hybrid, i will check with the dealer tomorrow. I only have 8K on my car.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twallace33@cfl.rr.com
i had the same thing happened tonight on my 2010 ford fusion hybrid, i will check with the dealer tomorrow. I only have 8K on my car.
Hopefully this issue is stemming from a practice recommended by Ford that says the 2010 FFH should be filled with exactly 4.8qts of oil when the oil is drained and filled, with the oil filter being replaced. This was the justification mentioned by the service manager at my local Ford dealership to explain why, for the 2nd time (maybe 3rd, I never checked) they overfilled the oil, to about 1/4 to 1/3 qt too much. I don't know this personally, but I've read from other posters that even that much overfill can lead to the symptoms we've seen.

Do you go to a Ford dealer to have your oil changed?

Noel

Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"The smoke may have been more white than blue" -----

May have been condensation in the exhaust system turning to steam as the components quickly reached operating temperatures.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ncp10
Hopefully this issue is stemming from a practice recommended by Ford that says the 2010 FFH should be filled with exactly 4.8qts of oil when the oil is drained and filled, with the oil filter being replaced. This was the justification mentioned by the service manager at my local Ford dealership to explain why, for the 2nd time (maybe 3rd, I never checked) they overfilled the oil, to about 1/4 to 1/3 qt too much. I don't know this personally, but I've read from other posters that even that much overfill can lead to the symptoms we've seen.

Do you go to a Ford dealer to have your oil changed?

Noel
yes I do,i haven't had a chance to get to the ford dealer, i will call tomorrow and ask the question

Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Same exact thing happend to me this past Sunday. I was jumping on to the higway and needed to accelerate and for the first time in 20K mile "punched it" and a huge cloud of blue smoke came out . The check engine light came on and was blinking for a minutes or so. I drove a little further down the road and tried a steady slow press on the accelerator till it was floored and no blue smoke. I drove normal for a bit again and then "punched it". Once again, big cloud of "blue" smoke and the check engine came on and was blinking.
I took to car to the dealership on Monday (9/13) to have them check the oil level and it was fine. The car goes in for service on Monday. It dosen't look good.
By the sounds of it, this sounds like it's not an freak occurance. Could this be a potential recall issue involving a whole group of Fusion Hybrids?
I never would have known there was a problem had I not floored the accelerator on Sunday.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Kirk, did you take your FFH to the same dealer who changed your oil the last time? This sounds like an overfill problem to me and you could have damaged your engine if they are saying there are other problems now.

GaryG

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Gary, yes I did. And as outlined in my initial post, they did not detect an overfill issue. There is something else going on. Teh dealer i got the car from has done all the service on it so it's all on Ford.

Originally Posted by GaryG
Kirk, did you take your FFH to the same dealer who changed your oil the last time? This sounds like an overfill problem to me and you could have damaged your engine if they are saying there are other problems now.

GaryG

Old 09-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by kirkster57
Gary, yes I did. And as outlined in my initial post, they did not detect an overfill issue. There is something else going on. Teh dealer i got the car from has done all the service on it so it's all on Ford.
It might be on the dealership if Ford determines the dealer overfilled the oil. The people the dealerships hire to do oil changes are generally not the most qualified techs.

My experience with oil consumption is that Ford will give you a new engine and have your old engine returned to them to determine what caused the problem. I've already seen how easy it is to overfill the oil in the 2.5L '09 FEH engine and I'm sure Ford engineers now know the issue well.

Keep us posted on what the dealer does to your FFH to solve the issue. This kind of problem needs to monitored for other FFH and FEH owners.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke Cloud out the back of my FFH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands