FFH hybrid syst no longer delivers power

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default FFH hybrid syst no longer delivers power

After 9 years sudden drop in power delivery while cruising straight and level at below 40 mph. Dealers can't find trouble. Diagnostic codes of Uo100 (Missing Comm with ECM/PCM), P1A03 (Drive motor #A shutdown circuit) and P0562 (system voltage low). Also U0253 (Missing Comms with Accessory Protocol Interface Module). Battery seems w/in specs. Ideas?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FFH hybrid syst no longer delivers power

How did the 12V fare in its load test?

Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

Do you have FORScan software? If so post a pic of all the PIDs of the BECM.

Last edited by Automate; 01-29-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leastein
After 9 years sudden drop in power delivery while cruising straight and level at below 40 mph. Dealers can't find trouble. Diagnostic codes of Uo100 (Missing Comm with ECM/PCM), P1A03 (Drive motor #A shutdown circuit) and P0562 (system voltage low). Also U0253 (Missing Comms with Accessory Protocol Interface Module). Battery seems w/in specs. Ideas?
First symptoms of this problem were: Sluggish and delayed acceleration, Difficulty climbing steep hills, no EV mode unless coasting or stopped. ICE kicks in immediately when you give it some pedal, regardless of the state of battery charge. Fuel economy went from 40+ to under 30 almost overnight. All of this is a result of Ford's preprogrammed obsolescence based on their predictions of useful battery life. Apparently they figured the battery should only last about 10 years of useful life. Anyone who knows these cars knows that the NmH batteries last MUCH longer than that.

I just went through this same thing with my daughter's 2010 Fusion. I found the answer and fixed it myself with the help of the Fusion Forum:
https://www.fordfusionforum.com/topi...comment-109239

I just did the procedure and the car is back to new-like performance in every way! In a nutshell (you're not going to believe this one) Ford has programmed their cars to limit the performance of the battery (output) after 9 years of life! All you need to do is reset the battery age in the computer and it will fix this problem. I had to post this here since I didn't see anything on this forum that helped. I just got back from driving the car and it's performing normally now. I drove 35mph for about a 1/4 mi in EV. Just like new again!

Corey

Last edited by corski67; 07-18-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Finally had the chance to have shop that specializes in hybrids give this procedure a try. It worked and now drives like a hybrid again! Technician thought this was perhaps effort on Fords part to prevent damage to battery as it aged, but they got it wrong. There are no advisories re the issue. This is after I'd taken to two Ford dealerships to find the problem. Both came up blank. Big problem and a terrible blemish on a project that Ford originally executed very well.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Corski67, how did this fix ultimately work out now that you have been running a few months? Does the 2005-12 Ford Escape Hybrid also suffer from this phenomenon? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

There is a TSB for this issue from Ford: TSB 20-2142. Ford will reprogram the ECM/PCM for you under warranty for free. I just had the work done on my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and now it works again like it is new. If you are having an issue with the car no longer running in EV mode, this is the problem. Ford programmed the car to shut off the EV mode after ten years. Foolish design.