Fusion Hybrid best yet . . . again

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fusion Hybrid best yet . . . again

Another review, and this time CNET has also put the FFH at the top of the heap.

Here is how they begin:

"After seeing the Fusion Hybrid at the 2008 Los Angeles auto show, we've wanted to find out how it drives. This week we finally got the chance, and found it one of the best cars coming out this year. In fact, we find it far better than the 2010 Honda Insight or 2010 Toyota Prius. Although it might come up a little short for fuel economy, the driving experience is so much better, while the cabin technology is unparalleled."

I am picking up my FFH after an 8-week wait next week. Not that I wasn't chomping at the bit already, but now just gimme my car!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fusion Hybrid best yet . . . again

Good review. I can't wait to get mine -- should be early next week .

Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought a FFH one week ago and I am duly impressed so far. This car has an amazing technology package, and clearly squeezes every drop for maximum efficiency, considering it is a very heavy and larger feeling car. I'd love to see the car built in a light-weight composite--or at least some serious attention to weight control. The door and hood lid seem so heavy to me. Even so, it's quite efficient and drives like a non-hybrid.

The car has about 290 miles on it so far, and already, it's doing 42+ mpg. The reviews I've read are all pretty spot on--gauge system is amazing. This car is a PC on wheels! Let's hope it isn't as buggy as my PC is!

My wife bought a FEH 2.5 yrs ago and it has been flawless for us, so we took the plunge on this guy. I only wished I'd bought a little earlier--but then again, I paid under sticker for it, with is below the TMV average on edmonds.com for this car.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have had the Fusion Hybrid for 6 weeks and I am still wildly impressed. The car is rock solid. The fuel mileage is getting better all the time. On freeway trips of 30 miles or more, as long as I keep at 70 mph or lower, I am getting between 44-48 mpg. In the city it varies greatly with driving conditions and time of day. My morning commute (only 5 miles) is all city but the mileage in the first 5 minutes (high - 20's) affects the overall rating.

I really enjoy the new features this car. Notably, the sync and navi system are better than anything I have experienced elsewhere. The Sirius travel link is quite nice; the electric steering is precise and firm; the brakes are responsive and firm; the A/C runs quietly and efficiently; the Smart Gauge provides the perfect blend of information and interaction; the BLIS system and cross-traffic will save bumpers and are especially effective when backing out of a space with two large SUV's on either side; capless fuel system is great, but make sure not to top off (what you need 10 extra miles of range on top of 700!)

On the downside, the car needs deeper side pockets and could use some aluminum accents on the door kicks and pedals. A push button start with keyless entry would also be nice (maybe add that to the Milan do differentiate it a bit). There should also be a pull down inside the rear trunk. And on the issue of the trunk, Ford should get rid of the keyhole as other car companies have done. It is never used.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=frankieboy;204285]I have had the Fusion Hybrid for 6 weeks and I am still wildly impressed. The car is rock solid. The fuel mileage is getting better all the time. On freeway trips of 30 miles or more, as long as I keep at 70 mph or lower, I am getting between 44-48 mpg.

Hmmm, 70mph is a huge hit on mpg no matter what car you are in. The FFH is not too disimilar as far as drag than many non-hybrids so this effect should be quite prominent. You must be doing that very infrequently. Try a test sometime and look at instant mpg. Run it at 50 for a while, then 60, then 70. I find the instant mpg drops maybe 3-5 or with each increment up. What state do you live in? California is good for about 3-4mpg less due to fuel additives in cars like the FFH. We discovered this on a road trip outside of CA when our AWD Escape Hybrid gained 2.5mpg over the same type of driving that we might do in CA.

All this aside, from what my FFH is doing now, I can imagine getting up to 44-48 pretty easily, but I rarely drive 70mph. Gr8 rig for certain

Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM

[quote=ncp10;204309]
Originally Posted by frankieboy
I have had the Fusion Hybrid for 6 weeks and I am still wildly impressed. The car is rock solid. The fuel mileage is getting better all the time. On freeway trips of 30 miles or more, as long as I keep at 70 mph or lower, I am getting between 44-48 mpg.

Hmmm, 70mph is a huge hit on mpg no matter what car you are in. The FFH is not too disimilar as far as drag than many non-hybrids so this effect should be quite prominent. You must be doing that very infrequently. Try a test sometime and look at instant mpg. Run it at 50 for a while, then 60, then 70. I find the instant mpg drops maybe 3-5 or with each increment up. What state do you live in? California is good for about 3-4mpg less due to fuel additives in cars like the FFH. We discovered this on a road trip outside of CA when our AWD Escape Hybrid gained 2.5mpg over the same type of driving that we might do in CA.

All this aside, from what my FFH is doing now, I can imagine getting up to 44-48 pretty easily, but I rarely drive 70mph. Gr8 rig for certain
There are ways to get 44-48mpg at 70mph in the FEH and the FFH but that would take a strong tailwind or close in drafting in my FEH. I'm happy and the truckers are also with a 1.5 second draft back a safe distance getting 42mpg at 70mph. When you are in heavy traffic it is not uncommon for everyone to be in close-in drafting to prevent constant cut you off moves from people changing lanes. In such traffic I find me a good draft vehicle and enjoy the gas savings and the A/C.

I recall a 17 mile trip that I needed to make from my home to downtown WPB in 45 minutes before the courthouse closed. My '05 FEH was started from a cold engine and low HV battery and I hit the road to I-95 in record time. This was at rush hour traffic and I grabed a 70mph trucker draft just about from the on ramp. I had a little bumper to bumper as I got downtown WPB, but my overall mileage as I found a parking space was a little over 48mpg. This is what I called record time with record speed for me with great MPG. I picked up the work before the office closing and made some big bucks over the weekend. I'm sure I would have got well over 55mpg this same trip in the FFH.

GaryG

Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have an AWD FEH too as well as the new Fusion. My problem is I'm not keen on getting stones sprayed on my brand new car by tailgating big trucks!

BTW, is a 1.5 second draft 1.5 seconds at that speed behind the truck? We did that on a road trip in our FEH and I'm sure it contribute to decent mileage over 3,500 miles. As I say tho, not too keen (yet) on getting to close to anything with this Fusion. It is really a piece of tech design. Very unflattering report on its FE by Motor Trend. Doesn't seem to fit virtually any other user's reports, including my own, but I am babying the car too.