"L" Gear Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default "L" Gear Questions

My sister just bought a new FFH (YEA!) and she wants to know about the "L" gear. I've read a lot about "L" regarding the FEH but don't see anything in the forum about "L" in the FFH.

Is it OK to drive in "L" all the time? I would assume coasting in "L" provides more regen (and thus more slowing) than coasting in "D", correct? Any other comments about "L"? What does the owner's manual say?

Can I assume the following (which is true for my Chevy Volt) is also true for the FFH: The most efficient way to stop is to coast all the way down to zero MPH in "D", the 2nd most efficient way to stop is to drop into "L", and the least efficient way to stop is the break pedal. I know the break pedal has regen when braking lightly, but drivers looking for the most efficiency should try to stop the car using those three methods in that order of preference, right?

THANKS FFH PEOPLE!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Default Re: "L" Gear Questions

Originally Posted by Bill Robbins
My sister just bought a new FFH (YEA!) and she wants to know about the "L" gear. I've read a lot about "L" regarding the FEH but don't see anything in the forum about "L" in the FFH.

Is it OK to drive in "L" all the time? I would assume coasting in "L" provides more regen (and thus more slowing) than coasting in "D", correct? Any other comments about "L"? What does the owner's manual say?

Can I assume the following (which is true for my Chevy Volt) is also true for the FFH: The most efficient way to stop is to coast all the way down to zero MPH in "D", the 2nd most efficient way to stop is to drop into "L", and the least efficient way to stop is the break pedal. I know the break pedal has regen when braking lightly, but drivers looking for the most efficiency should try to stop the car using those three methods in that order of preference, right?

THANKS FFH PEOPLE!
The "L" gear programming in the '09 FEH and all FFH was changed from earlier FEH's. There is little to no regen in "L" adding charging to the HV battery in the newer FEH and FFH. Instead, the regen power goes to spinning the engine RPM's with the generator starter motor (MG1) to provide some engine braking. The most efficient way to stop with the new programming is in "D" using light brake pedal down to 6mph. Below 6mph there is no regen in any gear and it's all brake pads from there to 0mph.

The most efficient gear is driving in "D" and coasting in "N" in EV when you have enough HV battery charge (SoC). Don't coast in "N" when the engine is running because you will prevent fuel-cut (DFSO) and regen.

I've got my '09 FEH in the 60mpg tank range knowing how to use the new programming now.

Your Volt has a Lithium battery that can handle all the regen it can get. The NH batteries in the FFH have no Aux A/C to cool the battery any longer so Ford reduced the heat of charging from "L" gear.

GaryG