Only getting 36-37 mpg...what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Hybrid Hound
Question Only getting 36-37 mpg...what am I doing wrong?

I've had my FFH for 6 months, and am only getting between 36-37 mpg in the city. I believe I am doing all the right things for optimal gas mileage. I pay attention to the EV panel, I do regenerative braking whenever possible and get a lot of leaves, and I use Shell gasoline. However, I see many people are getting between 40-44 mpg in city driving. What am I doing wrong, and how can I improve my mileage? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from Chicago!!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Re: Only getting 36-37 mpg...what am I doing wrong?

Originally Posted by Windycity66
I've had my FFH for 6 months, and am only getting between 36-37 mpg in the city. I believe I am doing all the right things for optimal gas mileage. I pay attention to the EV panel, I do regenerative braking whenever possible and get a lot of leaves, and I use Shell gasoline. However, I see many people are getting between 40-44 mpg in city driving. What am I doing wrong, and how can I improve my mileage? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from Chicago!!
First of all, you need to go to a site and ask Hypermilers what your doing wrong. http://www.cleanmpg.com/

There are a number of articles about basic things to improve MPG there you may or not not be willing to do. I'm getting 60mpg tanks in my '09 FEH, so you have plenty of room to choose what techniques you are willing to use to improve your MPG. Here is my Mileage Log from the first mile on my FEH:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?pa...9&viewcar=2612

Running the electric A/C is a killer for city driving in the FFH and the main reason I didn't get one.

Ask questions at that forum to get the best answers but you need to describe your driving conditions first.

GaryG

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

I've been searching for this... Registering to any forums just to know what have gone wrong... And just YOU Greenhybrid got the right one. Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Just left my local Ford Dealer. Routine service, oil change tire rotation. Complained about my gas milage I have only reached 32mi. Almost always 28 to 30mi around town. I am very happy with the car. Ride,handling and workmanship. I was told nothing appears wrong on computer check. The service manager provided a single sheet of paper to list my milage, manually, for 3 task of gas. Than he will forward my concern to Ford brass.
You should feel good about your milage

Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have 18,000 miles on my FFH and overall average is 35 MPG. I have had fillups at 38-39 MPG but that was in the Fall. No A/C or heat warm up to get the best MPG. I have had a 110 mile trip which yielded 54.4 MPG, but that was at 45 MPH on county roads with the speed control on.

I think you are getting what is expected without going to extremes. I am quite happy with 35 MPG overall (versus the 18 I was getting in the last vehicle.)

Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thank U for sharing your own experiences regarding typical FFH. did you notice any milage increase after 10,000 miles?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

December thru March were my worse MPG months. Didn't change much at 10,000 miles. Heating up the vehicle causes the gas engine to run longer and more often than usual. Turn off the climate control and see how that affects your MPG - I won't (correction - Grandma won't) freeze or sweat just to get a few more MsPG.