Reverse gear prob in my FFH today

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Reverse gear prob in my FFH today

Folks,

I've just had my first problem with the FFH I bought just before Thanksgiving of last year.

I had to deliver some stuff, drove there, popped my trunk open, turned off the ignition, got out. A man came to unload my trunk. The wind was fairly howling. I got back in the car, turned the ignition on. Sat there until the man was finished, he closed the trunk, we said goodby. I put the car in reverse, the camera turned on, I pressed my foot on the gas pedal and nothing happened!

I didn't know what to do, so I put the car back in park and then put it in reverse again. Same thing. Camera on, no movement.

I *still* didn't know what to do, so I turned the ignition off, waited just a few seconds and turned it back on again. Then reverse worked.

What could cause that?

Thanks for any replies.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reverse gear prob in my FFH today

You probably did not turn the key far enough or long enough for the car to turn "On". There is no feedback to key activation like the sound of a starter motor in this car and some have had this problem. You would not have gotten the green icon and the yellow engine symbol would have been displayed but it is down in the lower left corner and you may have missed it. The rear view camera works in "R" when the car is in the accessory mode. Also, if you were in "N", the car will not turn "On" no matter how long you turn the key. The only use for "N" is in a pull-along car wash. It must be then put in "P" to start.

Last edited by lolder; 04-13-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Jeesh! Thanks. That's so much better than finding that there's a problem with the car.

I don't ever have my car in "N," but what I did that day was something I'd never done before.

Again, thanks.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

It's not the reverse gear. There's a problem with the starter. I was at the Ford dealer when the car didn't start. I tried again and it didn't start. I got out and went to the nice, friendly salesperson. He came out, and, of course, the car started immediately.

He said it's a known problem and that I need to take the car in for service, tell them about it, and they'll put more graphite in the starter.

Maybe they'll replace the starter before the warranty runs out. Or do a recall.

It certainly is nice to hear someone own up that there's a problem rather than to deny it and blame it on the driver!

Please e-mail or talk to any criminals you might know and let them know that the FFH is a great get-away car, but that they have to have the engine turned off until the last minute!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Run, don't walk to another dealer. There is no "Starter" nor one that needs graphite. The car has no "reverse gear". It moves in reverse only under electric traction motor power. The ICE might run but it is not propelling the car in reverse, only generating electricity. The ICE is started by a very large control motor/ generator that controls the transmission and manages everything. If it won't go in reverse, it's some other problem, most likely computer related or maybe as simple as a position switch. Does the rear view TV come on?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, the rear view TV came on. At least the first time, but I didn't look for it.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you put it in "R" and nothing happened including no TV it might be something as simple as a switch. Next time it happens, make sure the green ready icon is on and check the TV in reverse. Write down the findings so you can tell them what happened. This has not been a problem mentioned in the forums other than failure to turn the vehicle key "on" in "P".