2010 Insight XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Insight XM Radio

According to a dealer I talked with, you can get XM as an option with the standard audio system but NOT with the Nav system.

You have to choose which is more important to you -- navigation or XM -- because on the 2010 Insight, you can't have both.

An odd arrangement, given that XM is included with the nav system on the other Hondas.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

Odd arrangement indeed! (XM or Navi but not both.) It "sort of" makes sense because there's no XM button on pictures of the navi screen I've seen.

As it turns out I didn't get either on the EX but may end up with both. I had ordered an EX in Atomic Blue with Navi from my dealer but after waiting 5 weeks for delivery I received an email saying Honda (Japan) had rejected the order. It's a new model and the factory is just cranking out LX's and EX's and not prepared for special orders just yet. If you want navi then you'd better find a dealer lucky enough to have one for sale.

I opted for an EX in a different color instead which was on the dealer's lot. I plan to use a portable XM radio plus a portable GPS instead. I purchased a power splitter where I can plug two units into the 12V "cigarette lighter" power socket for $6.99 at AutoZone.

Just picked up the car about 2 hours ago and haven't tried it yet.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caveman1952
According to a dealer I talked with, you can get XM as an option with the standard audio system but NOT with the Nav system.

You have to choose which is more important to you -- navigation or XM -- because on the 2010 Insight, you can't have both.

An odd arrangement, given that XM is included with the nav system on the other Hondas.

You were not told the truth. XM Radio can be installed in a 2010 Insight with navi - here are the directions showing the installation process:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...10/xmradio.pdf

Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

I have a EX Navi car. The dealer installed the XM module for me. I'm not entirely pleased that the XM antenae is attached to the front window rather than use the cars built in antenae. I have had cars with dash mounted nav and Sirius before. I didn't want to load up the dash board on this one.
The XM is integrated into the operating system. To the casual observer, it appears that the XM was factory installed.

I think the EX Navi should have the XM and a home link on arrival.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
BMW guy learning hybrid

I got the XM installed on my Insight LX. It was around $470 with a 10% discount for having bought from that dealership. I access it via the AUX button; hit it once and you get the XM-1 preset channel bank; hit it again and you get XM-2. Allegedly if I have an iPod connected hitting AUX a third time will switch to the line-in, but I haven't confirmed this yet. Antenna mounted in the windshield. Didn't expect that, but I don't hate it either. It's an economy car so I'm not too surprised.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't know if someone would like to try this, but you might be able to order an Antenna/XM combo used on the Civic or Accord so you won't have the XM antenna on the windshield.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

I just installed the Honda XM package in my 2010 Insight with Navi this weekend.* The directions posted above were pretty good, but there are some lessons learned.*

The only real problem was putting the second bracket on the Hands-Free link mount.* That was quite challenging and you really have to have some patience and flexibility because you have to match up the Hands-Free box with the XM bracket and the car mount simultaneously.* Other than that everything else was fairly easy.* I used the antenna that came with the kit.* It mounts to top of the inside of the passenger windshield.* When Routing the antenna wire, it simply rides along the side airbag molding in the corner of the passenger window down through the dash.* They give you tape to use to keep the antenna wire riding along the top of the side airbag.* It didn't stick very well, so* I used small zip ties to attach it to the existing wire harness.* I was very* CAREFUL NOT to go around the side airbag....* When removing the side airbag molding to gain access; one key thing to note is there is a locked spike clip at top of the* molding.* You cannot remove this spike.* Pop the two lower clips first, then slide the molding gently toward the ceiling to prevent damage to the molding.* Reverse on installation.
One thing that frustrated me was finding out I needed a "Y" harness to connect the Navi, XM receiver and original wiring harness all together. Found it online by typing the part numer in the above directions into Google. They should have included it in the kit. Got it for approx 12 bucks, but shipping was an additional 9 bucks... Kills me.
Called XM and got my acct set up and they gave me 250 Channels with their free trial offer for three months!* Life is good..I work on my cars quite a bit and would rate this job as 7 out of 10 on the difficulty scale.* If you are not mechanically enclined, I'd have a professional do it.* I actually like the antenna on the inside.* My wifes RAV4 has a Sirius system and found it just as painful removing all the side door moldings to wire it through the back door on the roof.*

Hope this helps!
Mike

Last edited by mac1520; 09-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

mac1520,

I'm glad to see somebody did this on their own. I'm going to install XM and follow your guidance along with the posted instructions.

My question to you is, how is XM interfaced through the NAV system? My wive has built in XM in her 2010 CR V and the NAV has a XM button. What happens with the Insight install?

Thanks in advance!

Big Kahuna

Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Big K- I was pleasantly surprised when it was complete. I selected the radio and two new buttons were at the top of the audio panel. XM1 and XM2. I use XM1 for News/sports, and XM2 for music and comedy channels. When your using the Navigation system the lower channel buttons or steering wheel buttons work for the audio. Pretty sweet setup overall.

Wish I had taken photos for each step but the instructions were pretty good and I was pressed for time to ensure the car was ready for the next days commute. Let me know how your installl goes and if you have any questions.

Cheers,
MAC

Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks MAC,

We have had XM for many years on different vehicles, last was my 2005 Yukon XL (which I traded in for my Insight) and my wife's 2007 CRV EX-L Nav (which we just traded in for a 2010 CRV EX-L Nav). Of course both of her CRVs came with XM installed and i was disappointed that the Insight EX with Nav didn't have it. But now that I have read aobut your success, I will be upgrading mine soon.

Who did you buy your XM radio through?

BTW, I think I saw a comment you posted about leather seat covers. My dealer (David McDavid Honda of Frisco, TX) had a 2010 Insight EX on the show room with all the air effects parts and leather seats. They had them made somewhere (I didn't ask) but they looked marvelous. It looked even nicer than factory. They had the appropriate openings in the seats for the side airbags, even the little flag that says side air bags. The extra add-on price was $1900 and that was for back and front. Not bad for nice double stiched seats.

Later,
Big K

Quick Reply: 2010 Insight XM Radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands