2010 Insight XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Insight XM Radio

You can shop around a bit, and the prices vary depending on what comes with the kit.

I've installed quite a few of these kits on various cars and some of the XM kits come with "generic mounts" that may or may not fit your car.

I wanted a kit that was built for the Insight, becasue there isn't alot of extra room to play around under the dash.

I recommend checking with the dealership. I haggled with mine and got the dealer to offer giving it me with the employer discount. Think it was around 220 or so...

I took that knowledge and found several places that offered it cheaper, but you had to buy the antenna and mounts as additional items which jacked the price over what the dealer offered.

Tired of playing around I went to:

http://www.accessories-honda.com/sto...p/cPath/29_179

The "Y" harness was:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-2...1-0F1-000.aspx

Parts all came in Genuine Honda parts boxes which are the same the dealership offers.

Believe the instructions for installation are posted earlier in the thread.

MAC

Last edited by mac1520; 11-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

Does anybody know if by adding the XM option to the Navi you get traffic updates for the Navigation (XM NavTraffic) ?

Thanks!

Last edited by baietas; 12-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

As of right now, I have 250 Channels on the XM. Havent counted how many are for Traffic, but I scrolled through a bunch of them the other day, D.C, Atlanta, NYC, etc. I'm sure if you go to the XM website, it will list all of the channels available.

It doesn't interact the way the SYNC system does on the Ford advertisment.

Last edited by mac1520; 12-14-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

So the traffic data does not interact with the navigation system to show you congested areas or allow you to reroute?

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Baietas,

Not to my knowledge. The Nav system is much better than my external Garmin as far as maps, search mode and voice commands, but I haven't found a function that warns you about traffic on the map like the Garmin does. The thing with my Garmin was it was usually way off on the traffic calls anyway... Driving from DC it was pretty worthless on a Friday afternoon.

I will try some stuff this week and see if anything comes up, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

With the Honda Navi, If I run into a traffic jam, I tell it to detour and it finds the next best route and it does a good job of getting you out of the mess. The voice commands are pretty nice and will pretty much give you the closest ATM, hostpital, fast food joint, or whatever via waypts or direct route.

Alpine did a good job with it and like the fact if you miss a turn, it doesn't badger you the way the Garmin or other extenal navigation systems do. It just automatically recalculates the next most logical route.

mac

Old 12-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! it sounds like a nice system, even though it doesn't have the traffic feature

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, I just had the Honda Dealer install XM to my Insight w/ Navi. XM works great, have 2 new buttons XM1/XM2 at the top of the touch screen however, it appears that I lost an AUX button and I have no access now to the USB (IPod) connector. I am awaiting a response from Honda but by adding XM, I shouldn't lose the (AUX-USB) capability, right? If you look at the top of the Navi unit icons from left to right - it has:

FM1/FM2/AM/XM1/XM2/CD/Card

The XM radio owner's manual they provided me has a picture of the unit with:

FM1/FM2/AM/XM1/XM2/CD/Card/AUX

I assume that AUX icon would control the USB - but I don't have it. Any feedback is appreciated...this was an expensive add ($480) as I wanted this fully integrated by Honda.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Mine shows the Aux and I control the IPod with it. I also have the Honda XM

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks MrEW, I wonder if this was a mistake-they forgot to connect it?

Old 08-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

Just went out and checked mine too... Aux and Card buttons are available at the top (USB works fine with my MP3). The only thing I can think of is two possibilities:

1) They used an after market system that doesn't fully integrate with the system correctly. (Highly doubtful as they should be ordering all their parts through Honda.)

2) Connecting the wire harness is next to impossible to screw up... To make the system work properly they have to use the "Y" harness. There's no way around it. If you look up the parts I listed a while back you'll see they are keyed to snap in place snugly.

So this discrepancy has me baffled... Please let us know what they find out... I'd do some homework before you talk to them though... Go on the honda website and look up the part numbers for purchasing from Honda. Then compare it to what they installed. Something is a miss here.

The Toyota dealer that installed my Sirius tried to hire a sub-contractor to come in and install an after-market sirius system for my RAV4. I found out about it and canceled. The system they were going to install was a cheaper version of what the Toyota factory offered. Sometimes it's all about saving the dealership $$$.

Last edited by mac1520; 08-25-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Insight XM Radio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands